Dodge RamCharger Central banner

BB's in my tires

9K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  eralov 
Well Bill...I have had tires ranging from 31's to 39's, in several brands and styles...always with steel rims...bias play and radials.....and guess what ???

............the only tires I can get balanced with that little weight are the 205/65's on my car.......the least amount ever on any truck tires I had was like 5 ozs......and that was with 33's. My groun hawgs used like 15 oz PER SIDE ...that 30 oz per tire !!!

NOw....did anyone of you who is using bb's or golfballs ever out the tire on the machine to see if it balances out that way ???

Well, I went thru 3 sets of 38.5" ground hawgs..and the LEAST I got was 20,000 miles a set out of them. I now have on a set of swampers that I got used, with about 2000 miles one them. They looked new. I have put another 8000-10000 on them, and aside from the obvious wear on the rear from power braking them excessively, they still have about half the tread on them.

All of these have been bias ply tires.......

if yer wearing them out that quick Bill....maybe yer rims are bent ??? lololol

OK...here's the scoop. I did this tonight. I have 39 x 16/15" swampers. They are old, out of balance, and out of round.

I removed all the weights, and put 21 oz of BB's in each tire. I also rotated the tries. I used 21 ozs cuz I think it was Snowflake who said he had 20.5 oz in his 38.5's.

I have driven close to 50 miles, highway and city, and the ONLY time my truck has ever ridden this smooth is with brand new & freshly balanced tires.

IT WORKS !!!!!

Now...the bad part.

Yes, you have a funny tinkling sound when you stop.

Yes, the BB's take a while to catch up, so when you change speed, up oir down, it will give you a vibration for a minute or less.

Yes, if your tires are as out of round as mine are, you will still get some of the vibration from that, but not bad at all.

Yes, at low speeds, the extra weight can be felt in the tires.

This is something I am gonna do when I get a new set of tires. It may even help keep them from getting out of round so quickly.

Theoretically, with a new set of tires, you should be able to use 1/2 the amount of weight needed at the rim, since it is twice as far out. Have to get some new tires to see...anyone want to buy them for me ?? In the name of testing for the good of others onthe site ?? ANYONE !! ANYONE ??

For my evaluation....it's worth it.

I may could have used less, but I went with Snowflake's weights pretty much based on tire size.

Now that I know it works, and I can change it for about 2 hrs or work and 7 bucks, I will adjust it later to see how low a weight I can go.

I have heard of them, but they were kinda pricey.....did yo find out how much they are ??

I would rather not have bb's in my tires if I can do it any other way......

the tire won't balance out on a tire machine.  it needs the contact patch (which is flat inside the tire) to alow the bb's to move around.  otherwise, the bb's won't spread out correctly.

Decided to follow my lead eh Mike ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.