Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won 2 ebay auctions today for 2 different????? timing chain sets. They are Melling double roller sets (2 sprockets and chain in each set). The numbers are something like 168-S and 168-SB. One is listed as 361, 413, 426, 440 and the other as 1972-1977 361. They look the same in the pics. The descriptions dont make sence to me but the seller said that is what the Melling description says. The first one doesnt make sense to me because it excludes 383 and 400, but includes 361 (B block) with the other listed RB blocks. The second set is strange because I am not sure they made a 361 in the 70's. Anybody know anything that could explain this?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I dont know what stock would be (1 bolt I assume but these showed large hole in centre and 3 holes (and 1 other sized smaller hole) around the large centre hole. There can be a difference in chain lenght if the engine fit is undersized because of line honing but that is not likely the case in a Melling set I think. Also the description didnt reflect that as a consideration.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked at my Chilton's and it seems that the stock 361 and 413 used a 3 bolt cam gear and the 383, 400 and 440 used the 1 bolt. I plan on having the cam reground for propane anyway so I will pull the cam from the 361 that I am pulling the crank and rods from. Funny they did different that way on the different engines but it probably is an age of engine thing as much as anything. It works out though because the 3 bolt system is stronger if I remember right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.