Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, guys/gals -- been seeing a lot o chatter about transmissions lately. been thinking about converting my 88 d150, 440 to an od tx (518). has anyone gone this route? from what have picked up so far, it would need to be beefed up some. any idea how well it would stand-up behind a tweaked 440? i already have a 90 518 and i found a conversion kit on the net for $450.00. thks in adv --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
the $3000 beefed up 518 from JET is rated to 450 ft/lbs. we know that isnt too hard to achieve on a big block so id try to maybe sell this 518 or use it in another application.

probably a 618 of gv od unit is more suitable to the app. i guess you ll start having to put some money away because either route aint cheap.

but as far as adapters go, i know you are willing to do unconventional things (1988 d150 w/440 efi for example)

so here is another option. a guy i knew back in michigan had an 82 d150. he wanted a cummins in there. so he located a 3.9BT4 or what ever it is. 4 cylinder bull dozer engine. but he had no transmission. wanna know what? that truck is on the road now. with his original TF727. he took the tranny and engine into a local machine shop. not an automotive machine shop just a mill/drill/lathe machien shop. for $100 he had then carve a piece of metal with both bolt patterns and a adapter for the crank to torque converter i do believe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sheriff said:
hey, guys/gals -- been seeing a lot o chatter about transmissions lately. been thinking about converting my 88 d150, 440 to an od tx (518). has anyone gone this route?
At Chrysler Carisle a guy had a 50s Chrysler wagon with an early Hemi that had a 518 behind it.

Just finished this swap on my truck, it does fit. Just needed to modify driveshaft, crossmember, and convert the cooler lines to 3/8.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
joe swinehart said:
the $3000 beefed up 518 from JET is rated to 450 ft/lbs. we know that isnt too hard to achieve on a big block so id try to maybe sell this 518 or use it in another application.

probably a 618 of gv od unit is more suitable to the app. i guess you ll start having to put some money away because either route aint cheap.

but as far as adapters go, i know you are willing to do unconventional things (1988 d150 w/440 efi for example)

so here is another option. a guy i knew back in michigan had an 82 d150. he wanted a cummins in there. so he located a 3.9BT4 or what ever it is. 4 cylinder bull dozer engine. but he had no transmission. wanna know what? that truck is on the road now. with his original TF727. he took the tranny and engine into a local machine shop. not an automotive machine shop just a mill/drill/lathe machien shop. for $100 he had then carve a piece of metal with both bolt patterns and a adapter for the crank to torque converter i do believe.
According to Cummins.. That 3.9BT4 is available and out there with the 727 bellhousing pattern on it.. they have several differents blocks.. and several of thier motors apparently will already bolt to the Chrysler trannies.
Aaron

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would assume that the 4bt is like the 6bt, there is an adapter plate between the bell housing and the motor, these come in a large variety of patterns.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
They'd provided literature showing the block itself having different patterns available.. not sure where it ever went to though.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the bb/518 question comes out about what i was thinking on the get go. seems no one is real proud of the 518 in a behind a healthy 440. or maybe behind any engine. think i will can that idea and keep my 727. my truck sees mostly open road duty and i was thinking easy crusing w/an od tx. what i have is not bad (3.23/1)(2700 rpm at 70mph) thks for the input. --sheriff--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts