Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping that someone here could hook me up with a pair. Check out the link to my ad bellow:

http://www.ramchargercentral.com/classifieds2/detail.php?siteid=3381&show_still=1

Hey, just in case someone here knows, whats the deal with the funny extra stub tube length on the pair from the dealership(I actually got them off Ebay but they still have the dealership sticker with p/n on them.) I tried them on my motor, the driver side bracket is a perfect match, but the passenger side, with that extra tube length, is off by about 1/2". Did mopar change the casting and move the tab mounting on the block some time after `75? (`75 is the year of the 440 I have.)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOGGER35 said:
cant ya just cut the tube off
Yes, but the bracket will still be 1/2" too wide. with the tube in place the tube makes the proper width between it an d the mounting hole on the other side of the bracket, but still leaves a 1/2" gap on between the lower tab on the block and the bracket. This is why I was wondering if the block casting may have changed in later years to account for this wierd bracket design. My gut feeling is that they didn't change the block casting, and that this has to do with some other wierd bracket arrangement, but I'm stumped as to what.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
l just went and looked at the big block truck l picked up for parts / its a 77 x-cab long bed/ it has the bracket with the tube like the one you have / it only has two[2] bolts holding it to the block / the top one thru the tube and one bottom one on the front / l mite beable to get you a pic of it

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I don't recall a tube on mine but I do remember the one mount only fitting proper on one side of the block.

I tried it on one side of the tabs and there was a space.....tried on the other side of the tabs and it seemed to fit better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am not 100% sure what your talking about here but I know I had to use a spacer on my 75' block. I also have a alt bracket from a big block A/C truck that has a support that goes right there, I believe and fills that space. I'll take a second look and post back.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any pictures you might be able to get of your engine bracket set up. If I can find a digital camera, I may try to take a picture too and post it here as well. So does anyone know for sure why this funny change was made to the brackets? Or maybe this was an older design and they fixed it later (such as what I saw on a `77 RamCharger.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
What tube are you guys talking about? Am I correct in that your problem is pass. bolting to the block? I just went and looked at my 76 td 440 4x4 bone stock and it has 3 bolts going to the motor on the pass side. Also the driverside mount has slot like yours, but the pass. side has a regular hole and the slot on the frame instead of the mount. Mine look the same as the top picture except the pass mount has a regular hole and no slot. I can email you pics if you like. I think your pass. side mount is for a different motor. Mike

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The brackets in the top pic are what I'm looking for. The brackets in the bottom picture are what I currently have and they don't fit up correctly. The width of the bracket on the left is about 0.400" too wide, and if you look real closely, you will see a short length of steel tube welded concentric to one of the holes, and a flat washer on the other. Only problem is, the short washer side doesn't take up the gap enough. Curious enough, even the aftermarket brackets have the same thing going on.

http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtruckKit.asp

(bear in mind that these aftermarket brackets aren't exactly the same as the pair from the dealership, they've modified them to work with both 4WD and 2WD trucks and clearanced the oil pump hole considerably to accomodate a larger "high capacity" oil pump.)

I even wrote an Email to these guys asking why this design change from the OEM brackets I've seen on other peoples truck's, but the guy refused to even address my question answering only that we've been selling these brackets for 20 years and they're better than the original, there's nothing wrong with them, etc. so I still don't know why the pair from the dealership look like the aftermarket pair, but both are different than and don't fit up like the origin OEM set. :(

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Here ya go guy:

Good brackets:

Passenger side bracket is the right one I believe.

Weird brackets:

Passenger side bracket is the left one here. The fold in the dealer label is mostly covering the tube Guy is talking about.

And for reference, the Bouchillon brackets, also with the tube:

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Guy, let me know If you want me to bring my camera over, we'll get some pics. I'd like to know why they've changed that bracket too.

But like I said before, you add a spacer, or cut off the tube and modify the bracket. ;D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a good idea Trenton, we can get some close up pictures of the areas we are talking about. Hey, I don't suppose you'd like to bring your "good pair" and photo them too for comparison? (I know, it might be too much of a PITA to get them off your old block) I agree, it wouldn't be all that hard to modify the "wierd brackets" I have and get them to work, but I would prefer to get a pair of the good brackets instead rather than messing with them and risk screwing up rebending them and not getting the holes realigned correctly. And the spacer idea isn't the most appealing fix to me either. Anyway, I think your idea is a good one. Let's get some better pics on the issue and maybe we can get someone on the board to pipe up and tell us why the change and what its function was, I think we'd probably all like to know. {cool}

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
McGuyver said:
Hey, I don't suppose you'd like to bring your "good pair" and photo them too for comparison? (I know, it might be too much of a PITA to get them off your old block)
I'd have to move the crew cab just to get to that block. It'd be easier to snap some shots of the mounts on the RC.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It'd be easier to snap some shots of the mounts on the RC.
Okay, sounds like a good idea. I'm going to an afternoon showing of Spiderman 2 today, but I'll be around this evening. I was thinking it would be a good idea to get a picture of the "bad bracket" mounted up on the block, so people can see the gap we're talking about. We could either take a picture of it on my block here at my house or on one at your house if you have a BB available. Your choice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just a question are the funky ones from a 4wheel drive? cuz haynes says there is a difference between 4 and 2 wheel drive motor mounts

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
MikeT said:
I am not 100% sure what your talking about here but I know I had to use a spacer on my 75' block. I also have a alt bracket from a big block A/C truck that has a support that goes right there, I believe and fills that space. I'll take a second look and post back.
l think MIKET had the answer with the ALT bracket that fills that space / l would just throw some washers in there and be done with it

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the first photo, it isn't there anymore, but the alternator bracket mounts to the front or outer side of the mount bracket. tv_larsen says that even mounting on that side of the bracket, the alternator sat really close to the casting. I'm afraid if we go and mount up the alternator bracket on the inner side of the mount bracket that we will get an interference between the alternator and the casting (this was before he installed the 100 amp alternator eliminating the need for that alternator bracket, which is why you don't see it in the first picture.) But then again, I guess I won't know until I try it. If this is indeed the intended mounting configuration using the alternator, then I guess I'll just shrug my shoulders and go with it, but I honestly don't see the reason for making the change to the factory bracket. The way it was before worked perfectly well. Why change it in favor of a hokey wierd, unneccesarily complicated version? ::)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts