Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my brother has a plymouth acclaim 2.2 and yesterday his car had no power my dad drove (an hour and a half) to his car and messed with the terminals a bit and it got started and ran fine. This morning it once again had no power so he played with the terminals a while and after about 10 miutes i decided to go out and give him a hand so i took out the specialty tool (channel locks) and messed with the terminal again and after a while i just turned the terminal to the left and it eventually stayed connected and he left. so whats the problem is it the terminals need to be cleaned does he need new terminals or what? Any suggestions on how to clean the terminals if that what needs to be done also appreciated. battery is fully charged. and also if the terminal does lose it's connection while he';s driving will it die or will it keep running fine until he shuts it off?

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
that sounds like one of the connections has a bad connection. from the sounds of what you described, i would guess that the stranded wire that goes into the battery connector has some breaks. You have 2 choices, replace the whole thing (battery connection with the wire connected) or is you have enough play in the wire, you can just replace the post connector. Off the top of my head, i cannot swear weather or not that car has post or side battery connections. If it is side connections then i think you have to go with new connector/cable combination.

if it comes undone while driving, as long as you dont have all of the accessories running, the alt will keep the car running until he gets to where he is going.

Hope that helps

Pat

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the connections (silver things that attach to the battery not sure wut else to call them) they're on the top of the battery and there is quite a bit of play in them how i got it to work this morning was just turning it around 90 degrees and that seemed to work but i highly doubt that would be a permanant fix. it seems as if it all depends on the positioning of the connector thingy if it's held a certain way it would have power but when you would try to start it it would turn over then lose it's connection again. I didn't have to touch the wires to get it to go just turn the connector thingy and luckily it found a spot where it was happy and actually worked. thanks for the help though

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
with that reply, i would deffinatly say it is where the wire goes into the connection. one thing that is not very well known is that the sulfuric acid in batteries is attracted to copper and eats through it. I would run to the local parts house and get a new connection. then cut the wire close to the old connection, strip a bit of the insulation off, and it just gets bolted to the new connection.

just a side not for safety, i have assumed that this it the positive terminal that is giving you problems. When you go to fix it make sure that you remove the battery ground first. otherwise there is a posibility of electrical shock.

Good luck

Pat

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay well thank he's at work now thats why it was so urgent in the morning he was running late so he woke me up to see if i could figure it out, I'm not sur eif it is the positive for sure i'll try to explain which it is.
If you were to sit the battery infront of you with the posts on the furthest away side it would be the right one.
There is quite a bit of play in the wiring to turn it so cutting them and stripping off a bit won't make us run out of wire. Thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts