Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a R/C but I need some help with my Ram 1500. I'm trying to get ball joints upper for it and the parts stores all have press ins, mine has 3 rivets Dodge says I have to buy the entire control arm assembly but I'm kinda hard headed and I think that this ball joint should be replaceable without doing the control arm. I neglected to ask Dodge if their assembly had a press in joint or not. We went forward and backward on years and all we found were press ins. Do I have a freak truck or am I missing something here? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
What year is your truck? 2WD?
Just wondering as I have to do upper ball joints on a 2WD '98 Ram pretty soon.
I did the uppers & lowers on my 96 4WD Ram, they were all press-ins....

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Sometimes you'll find that the factory ball joint is rivited in, but the replacement is a press in. In that case, you'll have to grind off the rivit heads and punch them out, then install the press in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an 01 2wd and there is no hole to press anything into it looks like the rivots should just be drilled out and replaced with bolts and a new ball joint

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
I saw a website listed on here a while back that had on line manuals and parts breakdowns I lost it when my computer crashed. anyone know what it is?

·
7,995 Posts
The part numbers that the MOOG site shows are....
Upper...K7366
Lower...K7365
I don't have a picture yet but it looks like Partsamerica sells them and they are List price $148 and they sell them for $112....this sounds like it is a kit. I will look further.
Mopar part numbers look like....
Upper...52106678AA
Lower Left...52113889AA
Lower Right...52113888AA

www.rockauto.com has the MOOG ball joints for around $75 each.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to junkyard today but the boot was all tore up I think they all will be like that at salvage yard though.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
You can buy boots at the parts stores. I've bought them for both ball joints and tie rod ends.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a couple sites but no pics of the part

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
The boots are located in the "Help" section....they're not vehicle specific.

There's different sizes available...1/2", 9/16", 5/8", etc.

The NAPA up the street has them. They may be called grease seals or something like that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we found a new one from moog wont know till tomorrow when the vendors open again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moog was the ticket. Thanks for the help. I knew that ball joint had to be replaceable with out doing the control arm

·
7,995 Posts
rogo41 said:
Moog was the ticket. Thanks for the help. I knew that ball joint had to be replaceable with out doing the control arm
Thanks rogo41, I will list these in our parts database. The Moog catalog says they will fit 2000-2001 at this time. Let us know how they installed and if you had to drill the rivots or whatever. Thanks-Stevo

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a pretty simple job. I drilled the 3 rivets out first i drilled a 3/16 pilot hole through the rivet (kinda acts as a guide for the 3/8 bit but I only drilled as deep as the rivet head then I popped the heads right off with a cold chisle I did it that way because I wasnt to sure about drilling a hole perfectly down the center of the rivet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts