Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend do ball joints on his 97 Dodge dually this weekend and wonder if we can do them without a press? I did my RC with a vise and a properly sized pipe and hammer. Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
yup you can do it just like you did on yer truck / but thats maybe a 3000 dollar RC and yer talkin beating on 20,000 dollar dually truck / l,d get a press

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I would much rather press em' however I have been unable to locate a press that is available on a Saturday where we are doing it. So, we may have to improvise a little. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Try it and see what happens and if you have to get a press, get one, otherwise save the money for something else.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess all the booze from my younger years caught up with me, I just totally ignored the red text and started this post in the wrong place. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have over 100 posts on the board since I joined! Sorry!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I know for a fact that Harbor Frieght is just up the road from you (my buddy lives in Kyle) and they have a press for about $100.00 Do you need to spend a hundred bucks? no, but think how cool it would look in your garage!

Cheers

Chris

·
29,380 Posts
v737d said:
I know for a fact that Harbor Frieght is just up the road from you (my buddy lives in Kyle) and they have a press for about $100.00 Do you need to spend a hundred bucks? no, but think how cool it would look in your garage!

Cheers

Chris
They have a press for $39.00, sometimes its on sale for $29.00.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Yea and thier presses are sometimes only good for one vehicle and thier too bent out of shape afterwards. But worth the 39 bucks just for the one time use though. If you plan on doing more ball joints down the road get a OTC press which are about $180. They are well worth it if you do alot of ball joints and they make u joints easier too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can rent that tool with all the necessary accecssories and adapters from Autozone...it's free!!! Just leave a $99.00 deposit which is refunded when you return the tool.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I bought the Harbor Freight 3-in-1 press and also their adapter kit. I've done many u-joints and ball joints and it still looks ok.....I agree though, that yoiu get what you pay for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts