Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put new ball joints on an 8-lug D-44 and, I have got one of the lower ones in just fine, but the rest of them wouldn't press through far enough to get the snap rings on, and they look like they have bottomed out on the top side. I compared them to the old ones and they look exactly the same??? Is there a trick to this process?
Also I am leaking gear oil out of the end of the axle tubes, by the axle joints. Is there a seal in there some where either at the pumpkin or maybe at the end of the axle tube? I can't remember one anywhere, but I can't remember that much anymore!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No tricks to the ball joints. I used some sand paper to clean up the hole area real good and used some grease when pressing it in and it pressed in fine.

If you are leaking oil out of the end of the axle tube then you will have to pull the ring gear. The seals are in the pumpkin itself. You do have seals on your knuckle that can also allow grease to leak. These seals just hold in the wheel bearing grease and keep dirt out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts