Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Ramcharger with 220,000 miles (dana 44). My lower right ball joint went bad last week. (I am doing all 4) OK it started with the upper locking sleeve. I couldn’t find a spanner socket to fit so I made one. Then I ran around trying to find parts. OK I have everything and am installing the Yoke (I think that is what it is called) with the new ball joints back on the truck. I torqued the lower balljount nut and then installed the upper balljoint sleeve, both at 70 ftp. Then I went to pivot the arm and it was bound up. It would move but it needed some effort. So I went to back off the upper locking sleeve and it snapped. Now why would it bind up and then snap. Pleas help I am freezing my a$$ off.

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
70 ft Lbs was to much for the sleave / l tighten them just so there snug and then go just a little more and thats it / if you hafta reuse the old one

·
Registered
328 Posts
According to the FSM the sleeve should only be tightened to 40 ft. lbs. The lower ball joint nut should be tightened to 80 ft. lbs. upper ball joint nut should be tightented to 100 ft. lbs. NEVER loosen the nut to install the cotter pin turn it tighter until you can install the cotter pin. The steering knuckles may turn a little stiffer when you are done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thanks i am glad i asked. I cant get the picture on the board but i can send it to you if you want to see but I quot Torqu adjusting sleeve in axle yoke to 70ft. lbs. with spanner socket. But do you really think i should use one of the old sleeves to replace the one that cracked though.

G

·
I don't see a problem with it. As long as the threads are in good shape. I also recomend some antisieze on the sleeve when you install it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Since i came across this topic i'm gunna ask a stupid question. On my truck i had to do all 4 ball joints as they were all worn and loose. All of the sleevs were severely rested and i doubt that they could be removed even w/ heat on them. So i changed the ball joints without replacing or adjusting them and just torqued the hell out of the upper ball joint nuts. What exactly is the purpose of those sleevs, cause everything SEEMS to be fine. also on this note it apears that my axel housing might be bent my camber is WAY off like the top ot my tires are at lease 1 inch in compaired to the bottom. is this cause of the sleevs or cause of a bent housing. If its the housing then where can i get a good truss. oh tires are 36x14 swampers

·
29,388 Posts
The purpose of the sleeves is so you can equally load each balljoint.
Since the balljoint studs are tapered and because of manufacturing tolerences, and the fact that your axle housing yoke is a fixed length, you need to be able to equally load each balljoint, and the way to do that is an adjusting sleeve.
If you weren't able to do that, one joint would have more load than the other and would fail sooner.
Your camber problem could a result of improperly adjusted sleeves and/or bad balljonts. How old are your balljoints? I had some Moogs go bad in 9 months! Jack up the front end and grab the top and bottom of your tire and push/pull and see if there is any play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts