Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need to replace my ball joint. Do I need a specal tool to do this? The lower one is bad but i would like to do both.
Also the auto parts stores ask me if I have the 4500 lbs axle or higher. How do I tell, also I need to replace the wheel bearings, While im there they asked me for a spicer # any deas on what that may be and what I have?

Thanks for the help.

"Edit by CAMORAM I made it a little eaiser to read".

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Well ui have the 4500 lb axles . U need ot tell them that u have the hd 8 lug axle . All u need to do the lowers is a pickle fork ( ball joint separator ) and a BFH to smack it with . As forthe bearings that is easy just get the 44HD . The parts guy is thinking itis a 1/2 ton not a 3/4 ton .

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
4500 pound axle would be a Dana 60F front axle and the older ones do not use ball joints they use kingpins. Do you have a Dana 60 front axle or just a Dana 44 with the 8 lug rotors?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i took a guess at the part store its not the 4500 axle they also had a renta tool for ball joint which did wonders
i got it back together i didnt get new bearings but i leave that and the other ball joints for anthor day
btw 4x4 440 my alxe is 74 so i have drums in the front yes i did say drums and for what ive found out today the danna 60 is the 4500 axle
thanks for help guys

G

·
i hate that...... parts stores ask you dumb ass questions, i went in for a tranny filter for a turbo 400 and they wanted to know how many bolts were in the pan, i couldnt remeber off the top of my head but its a damn turbo 400...... the guy said well we dont list the type of transmission just the bolts on the pan. get a freakin clue, same with this...... why dont there computers just ask if its a dana 44, dana 44HD, or a dana 60..... how many people now the weight rating on the axle to identify it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree when i go in i have to guess what to tell the comp just to get the right part
i ve brought stuff from 71 to 89 and i have to remember what year this stuff for warntes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts