Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some symptoms of the ball joints going bad??

when i turn and the axle flexes, i hear a pop sound comming from the front end. also when i slow down there is this vibrating/ratling sound when i get down to about 15. i dont think that is due to the mud tires though.

how hard is it to replace the upper and lower joints? and does anyone know about how much they cost?

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
that sounds more like the axle joint is bad which is a very common problem on the new RAMS because of the full time front end and CAD setup / a bad BJ will give you bad handling and funny tire wear

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Also, take a look at the track bar. They are a well known problem on the 94+ Rams and display the symptoms you've described.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the reason these problems are occuring is because of a wreck i was in. the body shop screwed me over and didnt fix crap, the stuff they did fix i had to take it back to them cause they did such a sorry job. i was hit on the front passenger side fender with my tires turned to the left. i was making a 90 degree turn and going about 10 mph and the van that hit me was doing about 45. i have replaced the trac bar myself and also the sterring box myself as gieco insurance doesnt want to pay for it because it that is stuff that all of a sudden "wore out". so basically i got screwed.

and what is the axle joint??

G

·
Could be the unit bearing is failing too. But, I agree with all...axle ujoint, even a balljoint will pop when you turn if they are bad. And if you didn't align your truck after replacing the tracbar, the tracbar could have worn out already. They will wear within a couple months if they are not immeadiately aligned.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
jack the tires off the ground and see if you can get the wheel/tire to move in and out from top to bottom, r if it moves in any other manner that doesn't seem right

I think it's the upper joint on the trac bar that is troublesome, and I've heard of replacements not lasting long at all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the popping has been the same ever since the wreck, i think im gonna try the ball joints but what exactly is the axle u joint? are yall talking about the u joints that are visible in the steering knuckles? if so those are bothe fine, no play in them and they appear fine.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
-85pOwErRaM- said:
are yall talking about the u joints that are visible in the steering knuckles? if so those are bothe fine, no play in them and they appear fine.
Yeah, those are what I'm thinking of.
I agree w/Donk too, check for any play top/bottom & the track bars do go out pretty fast

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I wouldn't used Lukeslinks. I've heard of too many of them breaking. If you're looking for a good aftermarket solution, go with a DT bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts