Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of those do it yourself balljoint removal/install tools on ebay a few weeks back. I need to replace the drivers side lower ball joint and at one point I had everything broken down to the steering knuckle. Then I relized that I needed a press and put it all back together. Now that I have the tool, can it be done with the steering knuckle left on the truck? The three big bolts were good to come off, but the knuckle itself would not come off.

Has anybody used the tool themselves and what was involved?
Thanks BB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are you replacing the draglink? I did mine a few months ago and just turned the wheels to make it align so it would just bolt in.....I never used a removing tool or removed the knuckle.

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
l,m not try,in to sound dumb but what the fork are you two tallking about / whatcha have a pickle fork / there is a HOWTO on this / you lost me / PLEASE explain

this is were SIR chump walks in and explains the whole think so even dopes like me can understand it

·
29,451 Posts
If you are refferring to the steeering arm (the part the drag link connects to) yes, you can leave it on and replace ball joints. I have done it twice with the arm still attached to the knuckle, it makes it a little cumbersome, but I got tired of wailing on the arm to no avail.
Also, while you there, do both ball joints.

G

·
I think you're refering to the steering arm. The knuckle is the piece the ball joints press into. The steering arm bolts to the top of the driver's side knuckle with three studs and can be a real bitch to remove. If that's the case, no, it doesn't have to be removed to press the ball joints. As far as the tool, read the instructions that came with it. It's a cinch.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stand corrected. the steering arm is the part that I refering to. The instructions are pretty straight forward but just wanted a second opinion on the job. I am fearing the worst with regard to the toughness of the job and hopeing for the best. Thanks BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts