Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was coming back to work today from a weekend of camping and volunteer work. I noticed that the temp gauge was reading higher then normal. I turned the heater on full blast and I was only getting intermittent heat out of it. I switched to the vent and I got the same thing. I noticed that when the heat from the climate control stopped, the temperature reading from the engine went up. When the heat came back on, the engine temp dropped off to a safer level but still higher then usual. I did stop at one point and saw no leaks from any hoses, thermostat housing or the water pump. Anyone have any idea what part of the cooling system is going...and how much it cost to get it replaced??? Thanks much guys...and gals.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Check and see how low it is. Then look for a problem involving leaks

·
Registered
535 Posts
The first thing i would change is the thermostat they tend to get stuck shut or maybe not open all the way. Yours sounds what i described second. Anyway if it has been in there a while it is a good cheap start and may fix your problem.

Rod

P.S. i agree with ED-3 check your coolent level first. Then try what i said!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Make sure that you're coolant reserve tank has the proper level of coolant in it. What you are describing sounds like an air lock in the system. Make sure the rad cap is the correct one ( has a vent for bleeding off air and drawing coolant back in from the reserve tank) If you have air in the system, you may have to go through a few heating and cooling cycles for all of the air to get forced out. When the engine heats up, it forces air out though the reserve tank and then draws coolant back in while it is cooling down.The air may be in there because you have a leak in the cooling system ( which you'll have to find ) or it may be that it has been a long time since the coolant reservr tank has been filled .

·
Registered
162 Posts
More on air locks. It is next to impossible to get all of the air out of the cooling system by just filling the rad tank. You have to fill the reserve tank and let the system do it’s thing. You could do a quick check for air by squeezing the upper rad hose. If it feels empty or you can press the two walls of the hose together, then you have air in the system. If there isn’t any air to speak of, you will be able to tell that there is coolant in the hose and you should be able to hear the bleed valve in the rad cap click when you squeeze the hose. At least I can hear mine and I'm assuming that you should have the same style of cap.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RAMROD4X4 said:
The first thing i would change is the thermostat they tend to get stuck shut or maybe not open all the way. Yours sounds what i described second. Anyway if it has been in there a while it is a good cheap start and may fix your problem.

Rod

P.S. i agree with ED-3 check your coolent level first. Then try what i said!
OK, so the next question is if the system has plenty of fluid in it, and I go to replace the thermostat, should I go with a standard replacement, or get a lower temp thermostat (like a 180 or a little higher)?

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
180 is ok . I think u r heater core is fixing to take a crap though . If u start smeilling the smell of the gawd aful antifeeeze it's probably the heater core . Change the t-stat and see what happens .

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Get a 190 stat, and before you put it in drill a small 1/4 inch hole in the restrictor ring of the new thermostat so it bleeds out all the air, and don't have problems somewhat explained in post # 4

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys it looks like my radiator croaked. Finally noticed a leak coming from the drivers side of the channel the radiator sits in. The truck just went in to my mechanic today and he is going to run a pressure test and look things over. Hopefully I am only looking at a new radiator but I am also going to have him do a flush of the system, replace hoses, t-stat. That is of course if it isn't something else. Hopefully all will turn out well.

Will update once I know what is up.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. Finally got the truck figured out. The radiator was bad so we replaced that along with a bad bypass hose and a bad top hose. We also replaced the t-stat and gasket. But that wasn't all that was wrong. When they inititally did the pressure test, the truck was running extremely rich and bogging down on acceleration. So they hooked it up to the scanner and found a trouble code (bad O2 sensor). I guess what was happening according to my mechanic was that the low temp sensor which we replaced a few months back wasn't allowing the truck to kick in or out of choke mode (I was half asleep when I talked to him this morning) so it was running rich and fouled up the O2 sensor. We though a few months back that the O2 sensor would need replacing, but it didn't seem to be running bad after we did the low temp sensor. Oh well, it is just about fixed and should be ready by late this afternoon. Thanks for all your initial suggestions. See you all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts