Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, typically a 15x10 has 4" of backspace, which has always bothered me because it puts the center of the rim to the outside of the hub, which in my thinking creates more stress on the bearings and ball joints.

I think I may have found a set of 15x10s with 5" backspacing (I need to call to find out for sure). With my thinking, this backspacing brings the wheel center back in line with the hub, which will alleviate some stress on the bearings and balljoints.

Now for the questions:

1 - Does an inch really make a difference?

2 - Will there be issues with the extra inch with rubbing on the inside while turning? I have a 86 RC with a 4" Rough Country lift, mild fender trimming and 35s.

3 - How do you think it would look compared to 15x8s or 15x10s with 4" backspacing and 35s? I'm guessing that it will be basically in the middle ground with the tire sticking out less than one and more than the other.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
I don't think even 2" either way off center would make a big difference. 

But more importantly, I don't think 5" back spacing will physically work.  Ideal backspacing is probably more like 3 3/4" on a 10" wide rim.  Anything more than that you would want a trial fit depending on tire size/width/type before committing on a purchase.  Especially if you've changed axles and or converted to crossover steering or looking at a big/side lugged tire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts