Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, back with another distributor question. I was working on the truck tonight. Hooked up the new timing light, dialed it in at 10* at idle. I went to Rev the motor to see what the advance looked like and.... Nothing. Steady 10* all the way to ~3k.

This is a distributor without vacuum advance, and I've retrofitted a GM HEI module, just so you know what's in the truck. I have a vacuum advance distributor on its way, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Now, that advance didn't seem right, considering it wasn't. I pulled the distributor out, pulled it apart, and  what I found dumbfounded me. I see no mechanical advance mechanism at all. It appears to be a solid shaft all the way to the gear that messes with the cam. What the heck? Does this truck have zero mechanical advance built in?

I'd love some insight. I'm about to throw it back together so I can drive it to work in the morning. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, interesting. I guess I'll just drive it as is till the vacuum unit comes in. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's cool, I hadn't ever considered using a stock distributor for aftermarket ECU timing control.  I always thought all stock distributors had mechanical advance.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As had I. Unfortunatwly I can't seem to find much info on how this system works online. I'm going to have to do more research on this and see what I can turn up. I wonder if this system could be used to retrofit knock sensors?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the distributor or the ECU? My distributor only has the two wore plug. I'm very curious how this system works if anyone has more info.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
In the stock system, before you swapped in the HEI, the dizzy provided the signal to the computer, and it decided when to trigger the coil. So the computer controls the advance, based on the several inputs. Not near as advanced as the later fuel injection computers did, but similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.