Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinda axles does a M-37 have? The axles have a 5:89 Ratio in em. I found a hell of a deal on a m37 with a rough body but has good axles under it the guy said they are Eaton style axles. so any help would be a big one

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
I think they are planetery type axles as well ..... Good axles for sure .... man those are low geared suckers too .... make a for a good rock crawler lol ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
My father has a 53 m37. The axles are not planetary. Some of the drawbacks are closed knuckle front, offset to the passenger side rear diff, and heavy drums at all corners. Disk kits are available but pricey, although you could rig something up. They are heavy and strong, but from what I have read the axleshafts are weak. We have had no issues with that, but he doesn't play that hard. I can get more info if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another thought is that they run a giant 5 lug pattern. Early power wagons and M37 are the only ones that I know of that run it. The rims are also 16 inch and split rim.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
if you do get it and decide to use the axles on something else get rid of those split rims ASAP!!! they ahve a nasty habit of taking off techs heads if they are not carefull.....plus who wants to run tubes anyway????

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
The military style wheel assemblies would never blow apart,the flange is too wide,but who wants to fool with tubes anyway?those diffs are rated for one ton trucks,i have seen my buddy's m-37 do some incredible things-you would never have to worry if you tucked em under a light truck.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i still dont trust splits.... there is still a retaining ring in the ceiling of the 1st ave sears here in seattle when some idiot thought he could mount a split... needless to say he didn't go home that night....

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I've read somewhere that the axles were built by Spicer, but I can be wrong on this because I've tried looking it up and found nothing on them. I do know that these axles are very robust for old style axles. My big worry about using the axles is finding replacement parts when you need to service them, as they are very old school.

Ed

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
If the rear is an eaton 1 ton, you can use chevy brake hardware. I am sure it would be a cinch to convert to disk since it is a full floater. The eaton rears had a removable 3rd member like a ford 9 inch. They had something like 16 spline axles, but those suckers are huge thick splines and the axles are thick. I use to have one under the camo ram, I did alot of searching on that axle and found nobody ever broke an axleshaft, that is for sure :)

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what yall think? 200 bucks for the hole truck?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts