Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say you have a Dana 44 in your truck an you break the axle shaft in the tube.

can you pull it out an run on?
can you pull the stub shaft an drive on?

are you stuck like chuck with out an axle.

can you pop out the u joint an leave the stub in an drive on?

· Premium Member
4,016 Posts
If I remember it correctly, if the axle in question is a unit hub axle, then the answer is no. If you have regular hubs, then yes you can pull out the axleshaft and the wheel will still roll on the spindle

Ed

· Premium Member
1,231 Posts
well thats not entirely true, i have made it out of some rough stuff with out the axle in the tube, I did bolt the stub shaft in to the unit bearing to holt it together, it made it a few miles thru the rocky roads, to get me closer to the spares, mine is a fulltime 44 from a 70's RC, then i learned about the need to carry spare shafts, did you break an axle or just wondering

· Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theoretical question.

i think about a lot of crap on the long drive to work. for a 35 mile drive it takes me a damn hour. F-----N traffic!

· Registered
59 Posts
it depends on the type of break too. if its a clean break i wouldnt worry but if it breaks on the inside by the carrier and is not a clean break you have to worry about chunks getting in the r and p and side gears. you wouldn't want to go down the highway very far very fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.