Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious How many members are connected to aviation in some way? I am a student pilot about 10 hours away from a Private certificate. I always have liked planes, and promised myself one day I would learn to fly. For my 16th B-day, my mom took me to the local airport (I waited a couple more days to get my drivers license). My parents couldn't afford it then and I just figured it would be an after retirement goal. I got started about 3 years ago after a break-up (I need to thank her for that, btw ;) ) and haven't looked back. I just joined the Civil Air Patrol and will be helping them with whatever I can. I currently am in a Cessna 152 and hope to get checked out in a 172 and 182.  :)

·
7,250 Posts
Not sure how many we have. gmule has something to do with Jepp charts I think, Mad Max is in the Air Farce. I was in the air wing in the Corps as were a few other members. I am sure there are more I don't know about.

Chris

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE DISEASE! ;D

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I have always had the notion in the back of my mind to take lessons and learn to fly.  I am giving serious thought to getting my LSA when I go back to work since I found out there are 3/4 scale p-51 kits that qualify as an LSA.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
And the A&P student is in!

RED90RC said:
I have always had the notion in the back of my mind to take lessons and learn to fly. I am giving serious thought to getting my LSA when I go back to work since I found out there are 3/4 scale p-51 kits that qualify as an LSA.
You're not talking about the midget mustang are you?

G

·
As Wycowboy (Chris) mentioned Cap't Jepp signs my paycheck. I sure hope you don't have an A05 coverage. This next revision is killer.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I am in the Navy, and am a Quality Assurance Rep for the EA-18G.  I have worked on Hornets and Super Hornets for 15 years now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
  I was an Aviation Electrician in the Navy back in the early 90's.  I just worked on Seahawk Helicopers.  It was quite an experience, but it did help me land a decent job as an Industrial Mechanic.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SUHWEEEET!  :D Unfortunately, I have asthma, and only one functioning lung, so, although the recruiters loved me hanging around with them, I couldn't join.  :'( Just wish I knew bout the CAP in high school. Then again, my local FBO doesn't have rental planes or serve as a home for CAP. I drive 45 miles to feed my addiction. Also wanna eventually do gliders, complex, and of course, conventional gear. Any taildraggers here? Also, I was just checking out more info on becoming an A & P this morning. I think I'd prefer the hands on stuff working as an apprentice for bout 3 years. I always learn better that way.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Hard_runner67 said:
And the A&P student is in!

You're not talking about the midget mustang are you?
Loehle 5151 and Titan T-51 so yea I guess I am.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
dodgerammit said:
Also, I was just checking out more info on becoming an A & P this morning. I think I'd prefer the hands on stuff working as an apprentice for bout 3 years. I always learn better that way.
Buddy of mine is a pilot. Everything but taildragger endorsment. and getting ready to become a CFI. He flew charter and even a King Air 200 for a coal company. He's going through the A&P program in case he loses his flight medical. I'd love to have been an apprentice in a shop and but General Aviation shops around here just can't hire any extra help. It's pretty bad...

RED90RC said:
Loehle 5151 and Titan T-51 so yea I guess I am.
I looked the one you're talking about. Seems like a nice aircraft. I was talking about this and was gonna say to stay away...

Myself, I'll probably end up buying an RV to build for myself. I've talked to a few older A&P's and they said it's one homebuilt that they would fly. An extra 300 would be nice but the six figure price tags aren't...

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Congrats on feeding your flying bug!

You are not alone, 11 year AF veteran all of it flying (T-41, T-37, T-38, KC-135 (A,R,K, RT), T-1) also sneaked in a B737 type rating in there.  Currently instructing ( as a civvie) the T-6 simulator at Laughlin AFB.

Flew the -152   a bit pre college, solo'd out in the Cherokee 140B and some -172 -182 hours thrown in there.  

Once I get my finances sorted (don't get divorced or don't marry soul sucking succubuses) I'll be shopping for -182 or if I get a case of the stupids a Quest Venture kit.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I used to wrench on cargo 727's and DC8's. Then on to MD80 and DC9 taxicabs.  Working on aircraft was way too political for me with my 20 year old atitude.

I would love to get my pilots liscence. But theres just no way i can aford it. The only way i could justify the cost would be to make a carear out of it. Not gonna do that. I have done my fair share of flying tho. My dads buddy had a tri-pacer, plenty of money and lots of free time. We would fly a few times a month to wherever. Chicago to have lunch, oshkosh for the show pitsburg for a hockey game whatever. Diddnt take much to get the hang of the actual flying part outside of the pucker factor of the first few landings.

Also spent some time in a skymaster, but he diddnt let me have the controlls when we flew.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard_runner67 said:
I'd love to have been an apprentice in a shop and but General Aviation shops around here just can't hire any extra help. It's pretty bad...

Myself, I'll probably end up buying an RV to build for myself. I've talked to a few older A&P's and they said it's one homebuilt that they would fly. An extra 300 would be nice but the six figure price tags aren't...
Yeah, since the economic downturn, fun things (boating, vacations, and aviation) have went south :-\ even before, there just wasn't as much interest in becoming a g.a. pilot. Light sport is slowly growing though, I just wanted a private license so I could fly at nite and carry more than one person.

Speaking of Kits, check out the Lionheart staggerwing kit ;D Waaaay cool, but waaaaay to pricey at $99k :eek: Still, I got to see one at the staggerwing museum in Tullahoma. If money were no object it would be either that or a Cirrus SR-20 with no wheel fairings (more useful load, and grass strip landability), but my realistic dreamplane is a Cessna 140 8) (something bout those vintage taildraggers)

·
Registered
659 Posts
This thread made me think for a bit, and I realized that a lot of people in my family are connected to aviation in some way.  My uncle was in the Oklahoma Air National Guard, and he worked for the FAA at Will Rogers World Airport in OKC from the day he got out until he retired.  My sister and brother-in-law both work for L3 at Majors Airport in Greenville, TX.  They work on contracts for the Air Force, that's all I know. ;)  My grandparents used to help out at the airport in Waynoka when Ford Tri-motors from TAT (Trans Atlantic Transport, predecessor to TWA) were landing there on their cross-country routes.  Both of them got to see Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart with their own eyes, and my grandmother got to touch the engine cowling of the Spirit of St. Louis once in Wichita.  I also have a cousin who is a project manager for Raytheon in Wichita.  The last big things he worked on that I know of were the Premier 1 business jet and the T6-A Air Force turboprop trainer that replaced the Cessna T-37.  I have been in the Army for a little over eight years, and I'm a Helicopter Powertrain Repairer, meaning I repair and rebuild rotor heads and gearboxes for all the helicopters we have.  We have four models in service with our brigade: OH-58 Kiowa Warriors, UH-60 Blackhawks, AH-64 Apaches, and the big dogs, CH-47 Chinooks.  They're all getting a workout here in Afghanistan, believe me.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
I suddenly forget the name of the movie. This guy was talking himself up about his 10s of thousands of flight hours, experience with all types of aircraft, using a wide variety of industry professional jargon. Suddenly the actual pilot passes out or dies and he was called into the cockpit, at which point the guy confesses he was referring to Flight Simulator.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts