Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mechanical Autometer Pro Comp mechanical water temp. gauge I'm looking at says it comes with a 1/2" NPT fitting for the mechanical sender. As far as I remember, all of the fittings in the Edelbrock Performer are 3/8" NPT. Is the 1/2" NPT a misprint? Anybody else installed one of these? What tap point did you use? Can the gauge be installed on the dash using the gauge cup with the 6 feet of capillary tubing instead of the 12 feet? Need some input here so I can speak intelligently about what I want to accomplish.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
In my '85, I put a 3 gauge mechanical set in where the ashtray belongs, and the 6 ft was plenty. It did actually come with a 1/2" fitting, and I needed to stack 2 of the adapters that came with it (only 1 was needed to change the size, but I had to go for 2 because the probe is so long it bottomed out in the manifold) I used the port for the EGR vacuum switch, which on a '90 should be where the computer's temp sender is, but I don't know how many/where the ports are on an Eddy. If you got the stock replacement, it should be real close to original.

Matt {peace}

·
2,317 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
In my '85, I put a 3 gauge mechanical set in where the ashtray belongs, and the 6 ft was plenty. It did actually come with a 1/2" fitting, and I needed to stack 2 of the adapters that came with it (only 1 was needed to change the size, but I had to go for 2 because the probe is so long it bottomed out in the manifold) I used the port for the EGR vacuum switch, which on a '90 should be where the computer's temp sender is, but I don't know how many/where the ports are on an Eddy. If you got the stock replacement, it should be real close to original.

Matt {peace}
just what matt said. had to use a 1/2, with a 3/8 to fit the intake. the eddy for some reason, doesnt seem to be deep enough for the probe. and it not just autometer, have seen it with other temp gauges. ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Your using a heater hose port though on the air gap

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Nope...using the temp sender port on the drivers side of the intake......the heater hose port is being used for the heater hose...and the stock tiny port is plugged

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That is the heater hose port. the sender is the pass side, the only 1/2 npt is on the driver side of that intake

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, there are 3 of them on mine...and one is on the driver side, 3/8-18, one is on the passengers side...1/4-18, and the 3rd one is one the passengers side1/8-27.

the 3/8 one is for the temp sending unit, the 1/4 is for the heater hose, and the 1/8 is for the factory sending unit. This is the way every intake I have used has been layed out on the passanger side, and on every one, the port were used for what I am using them for....so I have no clue why you say the one on the drivers side is for the heater...that makes no sense.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up a 3/8" npt adapter to a 1/2" npt that accepts the 1/2" npt adapter that came with the gauge that accepts the temp probe. With this stack up I'll have plenty of depth with the Eddy Performer and I'll be able to install it in the coolant passage on the driver's side of the intake right next to the Coolant Temp Sensor where I have a 3/8" npt SS pipe plug right now anyhow. Should work just fine.. Total cost for the fitting, $2.53.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts