Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a hell of a deal today I couldn't pass up. Got a 240 watt amp, Hayden 16" electric fan, thermostat, Pilot steering wheel, install kit, Autometer Pro Comp Volt, Oil press, and Temp, for the low price of $20, all brand new in packages.

My questions are these: I know as a rule electric gauges suck, but these are AutoMeter, and the price is right. The Oil and Water Temp gauges are electric, not mechanical. I am normally a fan of Mech, but whaddya do. Are the AutoMeter electric gauges pretty good, or should I not waste my time installin them?

The electric fan I plan to use. In your humble opinion, is a 16" big enough to cool my plain 360? It'll be sitting behind a 3-core radiator. I don't like the Idea of sticking those plastic tie thingies thru the radiator. Anybody ever used them and do they damage radiators? If memory serves, this is a 2100 cfm fan. I am planning on putting in my A/C pretty soon, so the condensor will be sitting in front of the radiator. Will it be enough fan then?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
One 16" fan is probably marginal at best. You will likely overheat regularly. Add the load of the A/C, and I think you know where this is going. I personally run two 14" fans, but I have a 31" wide radiator.
Yes, those plastic thingies will eventually wiggle around inside the core and hog out a decent hole in yer fins. Ask me how I know that.
My spare change,
Mike

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How'd ya mount 'em?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can make some metal brackets and bolt or screw them to a support. I have done this on several vehicles. I have always thrown the plastic ties away as soon as I bought the fans...saves me from being lazy and using them later.

·
29,398 Posts
I have Autometer oil pressure and water temp electrical gauges, and they work great. They are a lot better than the factory ones.
Mechanical gauges have some advantages, but electrical has advatages too. I'd put them in! 8)

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Autometer electric gauges are quality products. The only drawback to the electrics is that they don't have the sweep of the mechanicals, which makes them harder to read. On the plus side, the electricals are much easier to install, and would work well with a gauge pod. I would definitely use them. At that price, they must have been stolen.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could find a gauge pod for my '79 that'll hold 3; I'd use it in a hearbeat.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
As Bogie mentioned, use aluminum plate to make the brackets, it's plenty strong for that application, and soft enough to easily fabricate.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
MudFlap said:
I wish I could find a gauge pod for my '79 that'll hold 3; I'd use it in a hearbeat.
What size gauges and where do you want to mount them? Auto meter makes a dual pod that will mount to the windsheld post or they do make a 3 hole universal unit that I have had verry good results attaching to the bottom fo the ashtray.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are 2". I'd like to mount them in a pillar pod, but AutoMeter doesn't have one for my application that holds 3 gauges. I currently have some cheapies mounted under the ashtray. Nifty how there are holes perfectly spaced so I didn't hafta drill. But, I wanna build a strong box to hold my stereo and a CB, and I want it to fit under that ash-tray, so that's not really a good place for 'em. Also, I like having them closer to the line of sight, instead of having to look down there. What I'd really like to do is build a custom dash panel and install aftermarket electric speedo and tach, while moving the stereo down on the floor hump. Trouble is, I'm not really that good at that kinda stuff, every time I attempt a project like that, it just ends up looking like an abortion, usually 'cause of my lack of patience. I have seen the strongboxes you can buy. I forget where it was, but I want it to fit perfectly and look good. I wanna install a 12V computer power supply fan in the bottom to draw heat out. My stereo has a remote control, so I don't hafta reach down there to make adjustments, and it's an mp3 player, so I don't hafta change discs very often. I have an image of what I want in my head. If I could just get it in my cab ....

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I measured my belt-driven fan, and it's about 19". Not much larger than the electric one I got. I was thinkin If I left my factory shroud in, and put this fan inside that shroud, that would help channel that air and make up for the 3" difference in the fan size. This fan is the s-shaped one that move more air than the straight bladed ones do.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
If you can get the fan mounted into the shroud it will defintly help airflo and be mord efficent. The oyher option since you have a early truck would to get another gauge cluster and drill out the holes for the stock units and put the auto meter stuff in there,I know a few of the guys on here have done it.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to see a pic or two of that. I have bought another gauge bezel so that I would have an extra to cut.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I see you're gonna end up using that one 16" fan. Go to Hayden's web site and you'll see that even they don't recommend that. http://www.haydenauto.com/products.html
The fact that the blade diameters are similar shouldn't mena they will move the same cfm. Think of a trolling motor out front vs. the outboard motor out back.....which one ya think pulls more water? Anyone have the actual cfm rating for the stock setups, so that we can compare apples to apples? Remember, I do live in Arizona, so my experience with cooling needs is a little extreme, so....if anyone disagrees, then pipe up!

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
For thr gauges, check a boneyard for Montero's or Troopers. A lot of them had gauges in a "pod" on the top of the dash. You might be able to make one of those work for you.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AZ_RC_LUVER said:
I see you're gonna end up using that one 16" fan. Go to Hayden's web site and you'll see that even they don't recommend that. http://www.haydenauto.com/products.html
The fact that the blade diameters are similar shouldn't mena they will move the same cfm. Think of a trolling motor out front vs. the outboard motor out back.....which one ya think pulls more water? Anyone have the actual cfm rating for the stock setups, so that we can compare apples to apples? Remember, I do live in Arizona, so my experience with cooling needs is a little extreme, so....if anyone disagrees, then pipe up!
Nah, I hadn't decided to just use the one fan. I noticed that on Hayden's website, they recommended the use of two fans, but I thought I'd get opinions here first. ;D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bogie said:
MudFlap said:
What size gauges and where do you want to mount them? Auto meter makes a dual pod that will mount to the windsheld post or they do make a 3 hole universal unit that I have had verry good results attaching to the bottom fo the ashtray.
Yeah I have mine mounted in a nice home made sweet looking alum pod,under the ashtray I really like how they look there and my passengers always comment on how cool they look.They kinda make me feel like the truck has more power lnow lol. Mike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts