Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just swapped my 1988 dodge ramcharger from automatic to an np435 4 speed and it shifts great the only thing is that the clutch will not disengage at all, I had the clutch pedal in and put it in reverse and the truck immediately jumped back so the clutch is not disengaging, I tried bleeding the slave cylinder but the clutch still isn’t working, any ideas on what it could be, thank you

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Clutch disc in backwards? It happens....

Any loctite used on pressure plate bolts? It takes *very* little to accidentally stick the disc and plate together. BTDT.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Did you use a new slave cylinder? If not, was the 3/8" or so nub on the end of the slave cyl shaft? When you remove the cyl, it is common for it to fall off. Without it, you cannon fully disengage the clutch. You cannot get just the nub, so you are looking at scrounged, homemade, or buy the whole slave cyl new.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
check the master cylinder's travel . when I did a 435/4500 swap the pedal push rod had to be adjusted so the master was very close to fully depressed when the pedal hit the floor , I had the same issue you have . I cut the push rod , made a spacer from a 3/8ths bolt , bought a "sleeve" at a hardware store , put 2 set crews in the sleeve, by making the spacer longer / shorter I "adjusted " the stroke of the master until the pedal JUST kit the floor when the master was ABOUT to bottom out , with the set screws I had to loosen only one to get the assembly apart adjust reinstall , easy simple ...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I figured out that when the transmission gets put in to the bellhousing it breaks the clutch disc, the transmission slides all the way in until about an inch from the bellhousing and stops so I used bolts to draw it in and it broke the clutch so I bought a new clutch and now I have to figure out why it is breaking the clutch disc? I am definetly sure that it is the correct spline count

·
Registered
84 Posts
Remove the pressure plate, disc and throwout bearing. Then try and mount your tranny. It's probably something with the pilot bearing/bushing which should be easy to see. You did put in a pilot bushing right?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes to above , but do you also know you must center / aline the clutch disc so that the trans splines can slide into the disc ?  place the disc ON the trans , to check if the size and splines are correct before you put it under the pressure plate .      yer learning  ;)  if an engine / trans don't go ALL the way together with some serious jiggling Never pull them together with longer bolts .... btdt myself , about 52 years ago ....  ;D

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
And even when everything it lined up and still won't go in....

You may have to engage a gear and give the output a slight turn to align the input splines with the disc.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
;D ;D good deal thank you , like it when I hear back ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.