Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable are the automatic overdrive transmissions? Are they as good as the 3 speeds? Are some years better than other years? Any weak points or trouble prone parts?

Thanks,
Tman

·
Registered
364 Posts
Newer is better, there have been continual upgrades. The O/D trannies share all of the main internal parts with the same year 3 speeds (such as clutch drums), they can be built stout.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
But generally the OD automatics are not as reliable as the 3 speed 727.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
stock, the 727 is more reliable. you can easily build an a518 from a 90-93 dodge to be as strong as the 727. the newer 46 and 47 rh's and re's can also be built, but take more money, especially the re's.

Duane

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
so are the a500s comparable to the 904s in strength then too? cuz i know they are internally the same tranny...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've had both and I love the MPG on the OD vs the 3spd
in my small experience (two 3spds and one OD) had similar probe with both
never had one with manual shift - but I do live in the big city

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I understand it, the earlier ones had problems in getting fluid to the overdrive.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had mine rebuilt by a friend of a friend who is familiar with the A518 and its problems. He built it up to the Cummins specs. When it shifts into overdrive now, it feels like Drive, and I've got a 2300 ATI convertor in it. (Someone on here asked me awhile back for the part number for my convertor, and I lost the email. If you still want it I'll get it for you.) I added a 27k gvw supplemental cooler and the big +2 qt. oil pan along with the original TransGo shift kit that adds additional cooling to the O/D unit. No complaints. These things can be built to near "Bullet Proof" if you or your rebuilder knows what he's doing.... Next stop is a complete overhaul of my NP 241. It's starting to whine a bit. Probably ready for bearings. Fall project.
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Runin' With The Devil said:
(Someone on here asked me awhile back for the part number for my convertor, and I lost the email. If you still want it I'll get it for you.)
Dave
That wouldb eme...but form the prices they quoted me....it's out of my check book's range

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
russellmopar said:
As I understand it, the earlier ones had problems in getting fluid to the overdrive.
its not that the OD unit doesnt get oil, its that it doesnt get enough to keep it cool. like RWTD said, a shift kit usually takes care of this problem.

Duane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts