Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an 84 RC with an AC that I'm not sure has been recharged in the past ten years, I'm told it barely cooled last summer but I got it in the winter. So has anybody dealt with Autocool HC 12a, the suposed 134a replacment that is better than R12. I've heard that it is easy to retrofit and that it is tricky? I'm having a hard time finding anyone who has used it. any recomendations? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Well I am using Duracool R12a right now but I have separate issues with my a/c that keep me from evaluating it. It is basically a straight swap but you have to convert your service ports to the new -134 sytle. I reccommend you check it for leaks by evacuating it (you have to do this anyways per the instructions) and see if it will hold a vacuum (25+ for at least an hour) and then install the new stuff. If you have leaks, you can do the "replace stuff untill it is gone" method or use one of those UV dye kits. The aluminum crush gaskets are cheap but if one of your lines is shot ....$$$$$. There are new style aluminum gaskets out there, they have a thin layer of foam rubber bonded on both sides that should help seal up the whole system. Good luck and let us know

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Um, I I've seen it around before. I've heard a couple people say that it's very explosive in an auto accident, but that's strickly hear say. I have never actually charged a system with it before, but the conversion is exactly the same as the R12 to R134-A. I have a friend who runs an independant shop and he said that he used it for a while, and wasn't all that impressed with it. He seems to think that the 134 cooled a bit better than the HC12a. Eventually, he depleted his stock of it and went back to the 134.
If I were you, I'd probably got with the 134a, the price difference can't be all that great

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, (no pun intended) Thanks for the info guys. I've been told that this is the exact same thing as duracool. Chris, did you have trouble getting the pressures right? the only person I have found that has used it (who is also certified to handle R12) said he had trouble with getting the pressures right, ie. overcharging and he thinks that could cause some damage.

Falcon68, thanks for the recomendation. I am trying to avoid 134a, because with the two close to new vehicles that had it stock, I had to replace most of the AC after 4 years. I was told this is due to 134a being extremely corrosive and eating the system. I could be wrong because I'm just going on what I'm told. but I think I'll either stick with R12, Which I've had better luck with, or find something new that is cheaper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I haven't heard that before, but I can tell you that if you close to new vehicle is a GM vehicle, don't judge the 134A from that. I work at a pontiac cadillac GMC dealership and can tell you that GM's A/C compressors are about junk. I've replaced a bunch of them after they have contaminated the AC system with metal and such. That can be because of a lack of lubrication, which I believe is the problem. As far as R-12 goes, I wouldn't really go back to it. It's really really overpriced these days, and a system that was originally made for R12 that get's converted to the 134 A cools quite a bit better than original. The 134 is a lot better performing and I think you'll see that it is the best deal. But, don't take my word for it, do some asking around and see what the majority says and go with that. Good luck....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooooh, you guessed it, they were GM, '94 chevy and '90 olds. But my '80 Buick lasted 20 years with R12, and it was a GM, guess they don't build them like they used to :) Plus your the first person that told me a converted R12 to 134a would cool better, most tell me to expect worse performence and in Austin that would really suck. Yet again, I'm a novice when it comes to AC so I am going on what others tell me. Maybe I should look into 134a again. I would have to change out all the oil and gaskets if I go that way won't I?
thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, they recommend that you do that, however, I've gotton away with just putting the new 134-A and oil in. As long as the system is sealed, you will be alright. I live in AL, and while we don't get as hot as austin, We do see our fair share of 100 degree days. I've done it on customers cars time and time again, and I'm here to tell you that the 134 is going to outperform the R-12. At the dealership though, I will generally recommend that the customer replace the accumulator, because it's got most of the systems oil stored in there. So getting a new accumulator allows you to get the 134 oil in there without over - oiling it. With your RC, I might look into replacing your reciever drier, if anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the GM compressors, but they outright suck. Those old Delphi units they used in the early to mid '80's were spectacular, but they had to change it....... go figure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts