Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOTS OF LITTLE DEMONS IN MY '89 RC. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY IS LOCATED AND/OR WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE? ENGINE DIES AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES. SHOWS CODE 45 "ENGINE SHUT DOWN BY LOGIC MODULE" CHILTON SAYS ASDR FEEDS POWER TO THE FUEL PUMP RELAY. (NEW) DOESN'T SAY MUCH ELSE.
I ALSO GET A CONSISTANT CODE 33 "PART THROTTLE CUTOFF CIRCUIT" CHILTONS SCHEMATIC SHOWS BOTH THE AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY AND THE PART THROTTLE UNLOCK RELAY IN LINE. I HAVE ONLY ONE RELAY ON THE DRIVER SIDE INNER FENDER (FUEL PUMP) (NON AC TRUCK) LOCAL DODGE DEALER WAS (IS) USELESS.ANYBODY OUT THERE WITH NON AC '88 '89 OR '90 TBI'S? ANY CLUE YOU COULD PROVIDE WOULD BE FANTASTIC.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 88 FSM shows it located on the D/S inner fender, between a starter relay and A/C clutch relay. If you only have one relay there and it's a fuel pump relay.... then I think you've found what you are looking for. The manual describes the function of the ASD relay as follows.... "When there is no ignition signal present with the key in the run position, there is no need for fuel delivery. When this condition occurs the ASD relay interupts power to the electric fuel pump, fuel injectors, and ignition coil." The description sounds like a fuel pump relay to me... and the manual makes no mention of a fuel pump relay, so the one relay that you have there must be the ASD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I CAME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION THAT THE ASD AND FUEL PUMP RELAYS ARE PROBEBLY ONE AND THE SAME, HOWEVER, I HAVE SWAPPED IN 3 DIFFERENT RELAYS ALL WITH THE SAME RESULT, ENGINE RUNS FINE FOR ABOUT 5-7 MINUTES THEN SUDDEN DEATH. BY THE WAY I REPLACED THE ENTIRE ECU WITH EXACTLY THE SAME RESULT. SOMETHING ELSE IS KILLING POWER TO THE RELAY. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP K. C.

·
7,995 Posts
Are you sure it wasnt a Code 54 and not Code 45?

Code-33...A/C clutch relay circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay circuit.
If your truck does not have A/C you will always get this code...don't worry about it.

Code-54...No sync pick up signal No fuel sync signal detected during engine rotation.
The computer must see a pulse signal from the distributor to keep the ASD relay on. The signal comes from the distributor pick up. No signal=ro run

I would check the wiring at the distributor and computer that is related to the pickup circuit and better yet, I would consider replacing the pick up in the distributor...they do go bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ALL GOOD IDEAS, I REPLACED THE HALL EFFECT SENSOR (PICK UP?) IN THE DISTRIBUTER LAST YEAR. (PART YOU HAVE PICTURED ABOVE)---NO CHANGE----I DO HAVE THE CODE 33 (AS EXPECTED) DEFINITLY NO CODE 54

·
7,995 Posts
I dont find a code 45 for your year in any of the professional service manuls that make any sense compared to Chilton's. The Code 33 is correct for your truck. Chilton's manuals are not always on the money with their code descriptions.

1. You say you replaced the hall effect sensor last year...was this for the same problem you are having now?

2. Is the original ECU the correct one for the truck?

3. The code 45 says this at ALLDATA...
CODE 45--OVERDRIVE SOLENOID --An open or shorted condition detected in the overdrive solenoid circuit. (Automatic transmission only).
If you don't have Overdrive than you will always get this code and you are chasing ghosts at the moment.

My bet is you have bad wiring, still have a defective hall device or your fuel pump is on it's way out.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CODE DESCRIPTIONS I'M USING COME FROM THE ALLPAR WEBSITE. YES HALL EFFECT SENSOR REPLACED BECAUSE OF SAME PROBLEM. BOTH ECU'S ARE FOR '89 318 W/TBI (ORIGINAL AND REPLACEMENT) THE FIRST THING I DID WHEN ENGINE FIRST DIED WAS DROP THE FUEL TANK AND REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP. (BOTH PUMPS TESTED OK, BUT I REPLACED IT ANYWAY) 2ND THING WAS TO REPLACE 'HALL'. MAYBE IT'S DEFECTIVE BUT IT'S A HECK OF A COINCIDENCE THAT ENGINE SHUTS DOWN THE SAME ( AFTER 5 TO 7 MINUTES) I SHOULD POINT OUT HERE THAT ENGINE RESTARTS AFTER A FEW SECONDS (20-45) AND RUNS FINE TILL CYCLE REPEATS. COLD STARTS AND WARM STARTS ARE THE SAME.

·
7,995 Posts
Ok, let me think on it for a bit and see what my feeble brain can come up with. FYI-Allpar is an excellant site but remember the codes there are mainly for cars and not trucks. There are a lot of differences between code descriptions in any given year for the whole car/truck line up.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok caps are history, never gave 'em a second thought. I used em to make my posts easy to spot while scrolling. Anyway, the only black box I can find in front of the throttle linkage is the idle speed control. Am I missing something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts