Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m swapping a NP435 into my 87 RC which I’ve nearly finished. Donor was a 89 W150. When I bolt the clutch master cylinder bracket to its brace on the interior it encroaches on the wiring bulkhead. The four holes to bolt the bracket were already drilled from factory so I know it’s in the correct spot.  I then tried to separate the bulkhead but was unsuccessful. The center bolt released from the captured nut but I cannot separate the bulkhead (any tips?).
Any help would be very appreciated.  Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did this. Take the bolt all the way out the use a good flat head and pry evenly all around it till it starts giving and work it off...it takes a good bit of pressure it feels like your gonna damage it but it will unplug

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea why the bulkhead is in a different place on my 87 auto than a 89 manual body?  I suppose I will need to move the bulkhead 1/2-1” towards the drivers side to accomplish this swap

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I believe they moved the bulkhead over as part of the update in '88.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the response and pics.  They definitely moved the bulkhead to the drivers side.  I’ll have to get past this obstacle but I can’t get the damn bulkhead apart to even begin moving it

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the swap done but have a new issue.  The starter sounds horrible. It’s a grinding awful noise while cranking. It is the same starter the automatic had and it didn’t make this sound with it.  It’s a later model mini- starter, not the original larger one.  What did I miss?  Thanks

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sounds like an alignment/clearance issue with the flywheel teeth. Do you have the starter that was in the donor vehicle? Theoretically there shouldn't be an issue. Is the starter you have the old gear reduction type or the smaller one? Dodge switched somewhere during that era. The smaller one can be used in place of the older but I don't know about the other way around.

Can you have someone crank it while you take a look?

Bucky

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve got the donor starter (1989) which is a mini starter and looks the same as the one I had on the automatic (newer mini starter style).  I installed the one I had with the automatic as I’ve never had an issue with it.  How would I correct an alignment issue? 

·
Registered
771 Posts
abranz said:
Well I got the swap done but have a new issue. The starter sounds horrible. It's a grinding awful noise while cranking. It is the same starter the automatic had and it didn't make this sound with it. It's a later model mini- starter, not the original larger one. What did I miss? Thanks
Sounds to me like you may have bellhousing out of alignment. Do you have all dowel pins and bolts in? I would check from underneath how the bottom of the bell looks to make sure it is square with the engine block. Also make sure you don't have a transmission mount or engine mount slightly broke/wore out can cause a funky angle where things bolt together. Ask me how I know.

Good news is these small starters are easy to get off and on. You may also want bench test it to hear what it sounds like off the motor too, if you take it back off. You can also shim it with washers, but I have never had to do that on factory transmissions and bells no matter the starter.

Just a piece of information, have you heard one of these starters start up? Is it engaging and turning the flywheel? It sounds like all kinds of grinding compared to the old style. I swapped in a 93 ish starter and man does that thing sound weird on my flywheel. Engages perfect but sounds funky. Dad and myself were checking back and forth like three times each to make sure we were not destroying something.

Neil

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both dowel pins are present and all bell housing bolt in and tight.  Inspection cover is in which also extends over the starter hole in the bell thus acting as a starter shim I suppose.  Engine and trans mounts are new. Nothing looks out of place or whacked.  As I mentioned I’m using the same starter that was used on the automatic.  It sounded fine then.  Flywheel and clutch are new LUK’s.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So the flywheel is new. Did you have the old one to compare it to?

Not all Dodge flywheels are the same unfortunately. And parts houses & catalogs are often wrong in what they says "fits".

This may not be your issue (likely not if it starts/runs without any issues after cranking), but certainly a possibility if your introducing a new part to the equation.

Bucky

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Old flywheel was for a 318.  The new one is for a 360 and appears to be correct with 3 large divots drilled in it for 360 balance. 

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If they are the same in regards to diameter, toothcount,etc then like I said likely not your issue.

Bucky

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
look at the "nose " of the lil starter , its different than the large ones , be sure its not broken , and fits into the bell area .  they "should" be swappable , I have never had a problem doing that .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.