Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my filter n gasket, on my three speed automatic. I'm very unsure about using the  ATF-4 .... a synthetic !! 
Has anyone used it?  Any opinions.. what is the best for our RCs ?
Regards to all..  EddieK

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
Since you are not draining the torque converter, you only drain something like 1/3, or 1/2 of the total fluid. So mixing ATF+4, with the existing dexeron, leaves you with a mixture somewhere in between. They claim it does not hurt to mix them, but why risk it, and why add a more expensive fluid when the end benefit is little if any gain. My vote is stick with what you have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent point about what's already in the converter. I'll look around the garage to see if I can find what I may have put in it the last time. That was a good number of years ago when I  drove it weekly. I did good maintenance on it.
But .. now I'm restoring it along with some mods to upgrade it and I'm very careful about everything I'm doing. Thank you SB.
P.S. Anything re synthetic i avoid re engines that have always ran on conventional. Since helping my son with my 60s Buick i gave him.
I can't believe how difficult it it to get the  correct basic parts etc, even after you verbally state or input the correct year, make, model. Today your dealing with people in many cases who never turned a wrench, just good at keyboarding. OMG !!
I havent yet had that degree of difficulty with the RC, but give it time..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
What year? If you don't have a reprogramming kit installed the torque converter will drain most of the fluid out into the pan I let mine sit for a week got eight quarts out that's what it holds. ATF plus 4 is fine if you got old seals and gaskets they might sweat because of the synthetic

·
Registered
232 Posts
ATF +4 is designed for overdrive and especially lock up torque converter models because of the heat they generate.  It will not hurt to mix the fluids.  Yes +4 is more expensive but it will withstand some pretty crazy high heat.  I believe it is rated at close to 400 degrees.  Most of the parts house reference programs list +4 for all Dodges after about 1987/88.

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
EDDIEK said:
I can't believe how difficult it it to get the correct basic parts etc, even after you verbally state or input the correct year, make, model. Today your dealing with people in many cases who never turned a wrench, just good at keyboarding. OMG !!
I always look up the parts I want online, and print out a list. Then those keyboarders drive me crazy asking for all the info again, so they can look it up. WTF!. {hammer}

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
                  Called a local Dodge dealer, asked for part number 4339457. Which is already a superseded part number. Told me it didn't exist all our part numbers end in letters I told him now he doesn't exist and to have a nice day. Called another Dodge dealer that I know the parts guy knows what to do with old part numbers. Difference old parts Guy versus keyboard puncher.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Sir Jeffy45.. My RC is an 85, "Prospector" with a 318.. Yea, don't you just want to ...never mind..    when you encounter one of those corp guys who knows only keyboarding, and does the patronizing thing.. They keep that crap up, more people will go to the order your vehicle on-line and a car carrier drops it off at your home.
Too many of these brick and mortar people just keep driving customers away...OMG.
Roger that Superburban... head banging "hammer" time... .
EDDIEK

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was still in the dealership when they rolled out the +4 to update +3.  No issue with backwards compatibility, FCA has published countless TSB's speaking to the compatibility and application of +4 for AT, power steering, t-case, etc., covering a LOT of years. Been too long since I looked, but +4 is either a semi or full synthetic as well, definitely handles some heat with solid reliability. For sourcing it, go hit your local walmart...they have Mopar +4 on the shelf, cheaper than most stealerships.

For me, I'm on the Mobil1 full synthetic train for most fluids, had really solid luck and they aren't cost prohibitive, unlike Redline, Amsoil, etc.

As for the parts guys...yeah, that gig with most of the newer generation of parts guys sucks. I was slinging parts, handling warranty stuff, delivering, basically a one stop grunt/slinger for close to 2 years. Our guys were legit, old-timers, had one guy that could rattle off part numbers for a 69 D200 taillight from memory. Got a new guy in, totally clueless. Had to deal with the FNG's with a dealer I sometimes go to now, sucks most of the time since the older guys aren't on the phone anymore.

Damn I sound old and I'm only 40...lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reply.. Yes...DITTO: My grandad worked his way up to CEO, but still manned the parts counter in shirtsleeves 1940s to mid 70s at a ship "chandler".. (a dealer in supplies and equipment for ships and boats) in a 19th century narrow storefront 4 story shop near the Delaware River. The upper three floors each had several hundred of pull out wooden drawers containing obsolete or rare parts, deck parts for schooners, tankers etc. He would tell the new kid for the wizbang no# 5, go to the 3rd floor, row 1, deck 7, drawer 799. They said he had a photographic mind, every so often he was off a drawer by a number.. Hurts my brain to think about it.
I will go Supertech ATF, may even do ATF-4.

DEXRON image by Hymn62 - Own work The original 1967 Dexron (B) automatic transmission fluid CC BY-SA 4.0

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I worked in a transmission shop just out of high school 18 years old. We had Dexron in A 275 gallon oil tank. . When we did Chrysler transmissions my boss would always hand me a small bottle of friction modifier 2  Add.                                 
            Im only 44

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
type F or dexron , chrysler took dexron

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dexron....  but I'm sure it wasn't good for it that's why there was problems with them w/ just dexron .dipsticks says it on it ,is it good? no.  And then there was what ATF +

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If I remember correctly what was in that 275 gallon tank was Dexron II/ Mercon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.