Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out where I can buy an ASD Relay as shown in my Haynes book for my 1989 Dodge D-150. I've checked NAPA,Autozone,Advanced Auto,Pep Boys, and a bunch of others. Am I using the wrong word for this relay? Know what store has them? Need your help. :'(

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Hopefully one of our resident parts house folks will chip in. ASD stands for Auto Shutdown. In answer to the other question, this relay is used by the engine computer to control power to the fuel pump and ignition coil. If the computer isn't sensing a signal from the distributor, it turns off this relay, shutting off fuel and spark.

O'Reilly's seems to have one that might work. They call it an EFI Main Relay.

Relay

G

·
cjohhny said:
Hopefully one of our resident parts house folks will chip in. ASD stands for Auto Shutdown. In answer to the other question, this relay is used by the engine computer to control power to the fuel pump and ignition coil. If the computer isn't sensing a signal from the distributor, it turns off this relay, shutting off fuel and spark.

O'Reilly's seems to have one that might work. They call it an EFI Main Relay.

Relay
Ohhhhh thats what it does.... ;D

did you try RockAuto?

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
RockAuto calls it a fuel injection relay.  If that is your problem, you're better off taking the old one to the parts store with you to match it up.

Are you sure it's the relay?  A lot of times, the Hall Effect sensor (pickup) in the distributor is what goes bad before the relay.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was able to get one from Discount/Advance auto parts, but it is misnamed in their computer.  Take yours in, and the picture in their computer is right, but I don't remember what they called it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
A 12 volt relay from Radio Shack will work in a pinch, for a lot less money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved. I took my truck to NAPA,removed the relay in their parking lot,and took it in for "show and tell". I  asked them what they called it and it's in their computer as a 40amp relay. It is 5 prong but fits into the 4 prong receptical just fine. It's strange that no shops call it an ASD relay like the Haynes and Chilton books do,but that's the way it is. ::) 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.