Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at a set of Keith Black Hyperuetectic pistons and some chromoly rings to rebuild my beast with. I'm guessing I have a bad compression leak, and if that'st the case then I'm gonna yank the engine and start my rebuild, using as much stock parts as I can. I plan to upgrade later to all forged stuff and bore my engine .30 or so over, and maybe stroke it. I'm definatelty gonna run some strong pistons, seeing as how I'm gonna run some juice in my truck (just for fun ;D).
But yeah, are these pistons okay for now, or no? If they are good, maybe I'll skip the forged pistons and just use these instead.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hyper pistons are fine, they are lighter and seal better than forged.

the deal is in the tune, a forged piston will stand up to a poor tune better than a hyper will.

not the same but I run stock hypers in my 93 5.0 and it was making 333rwhp N/A
I am now in the middle of finishing a S trim install and will be running 10 psi on them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice. Okay then, I guess I'll go ahed and get them then when I get the money (its gonna be awhile tho):(

·
2,317 Posts
i remember awhile ago an article, cant remember what site. but it talked about the pros of hyper techs over forged when using 100 or juice. something about the composite of the hype tech piston was excellent.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So should I save up more and get forged for my beast? I was under the impression that there wasn't a forged piston made for 360s? I wanna run a 150 shot using the "roll on" method (goes on gradually instead of just dumping it all at once. Saves your neck I heard!!).

·
2,317 Posts
there are companys that make them. i know a few guys here have them.go to bigblockdart.com and look around and ask. its just like here.but for pavement only.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
this topic is important to me as well.

well also for the little shadow of mine. listen to this article. i know its not quite the same but just listen to the sound clip.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/downloads/pistons.zip

you ll need a file uncompressor such as winzip or windows xp may open automatically. then listen to the compressed mp3.

yes i know i know "but i dont have a turbo, thats not important to me" but listen to the general tech info on hypereutectic aluminum construction. id say spend the lil extra money on a forged piston.

since you have a 360 you are in luck, there are so many manufacturers for the 360. nearly every piston company makes a piston for 360.

i wouldnt mess around when it comes to 150hp spray. i know it aint big plus you are using a nitrous controller. but why mess around?

one more tip is solenoid location. the closer the solenoid is to the spray bar (this is a 4 barrel truck right?) the harder the hit. fries the tires smacks the hell outta the engine and drive train but whatta rush. by locating the solenoids further away it makes it a smoother hit plus you can hid the solenoids as to not draw so much controversy.

other things to remember is plug tuning using colder plugs. an ignition system to handle it. you dont necessarly need msd or hei or anything but if stock mopar is having trouble firing this may be a potential cause. plus jetting and fuel supply. make sure you have good supply of fuel. and remember full throttle and above 3000rpm. below would be too much of a shock load.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Hey ed peters is insane, if you build a forged piston motor for everyday use you better preheat the block every morning otherwise that piston will be rattling around in there until it expands as it gets up to temp to take up all the clearance it needs for it to swell.
I put alot more than 150hp shots on stock bottom ends with NOOoooo problems, that's not to say someone doesn't know what there doing and blows it up it's the pistons fault

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm gonna have you build my beasts engine then. Cause I sure as hell dont know what Im doing. Puting an engine together is easy. Putting one together and getting everything right is what separates true mechanics from wrench monkeys imo.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You can use cast pistons and still spray that engine away if you want to---you just absolutely MUST keep it out of pre-ignition. Cast pistons will melt in a hurry from an overly-lean condition (which NO2 will cause if not set up properly--and cast pistons are 'not recommended' for nitrous FWIW). Hypers give you a little more breathing room before they melt, and forged will give you even more room yet.

Just don't go insane on the NO2, and make damn sure your a/f ratio under the spray does not go lean, and the engine's bottom end and internals should live happy lives. (Keeping the a/f ratio constant, even while being punished with nitrous, is where EFI makes things much more managable...)

-SM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.