Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 1984 Dodge W-150 short bed and the frame is starting to rust through but the body is good. I rebuilt the truck about 8 years ago. The cab and bed are from down south. I've found a frame from a 1985 W-150 short bed. Are they interchangeable meaning will the all parts on the rusted frame bolt up in the same place as on the frame that I found?

Thanks for any help you and information you can provide.

Fred

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
LOL  ........south western NY ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 8 years ago I did a frame off restore on this truck and the frame was about 75% but now with all the salt brine, salt and anti-skid that is used this time of year it really took a toll on the frame. When I did the frame off I used POR-15 on everything but that didn't work the way I thought it would. So now I'll do it over. it will give me something to do.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I found the key to the epoxy primer was in the prep work , I hand washed a frame it pealed off , I wire wheeled , and sanded a floor , it has had NO rubber , carpet , or anything , cab does leak , shoes full of snow , salt and , grit , the stuff is still there , 0 rust ... I'm tempted to try dustless blasting ... but now when I'd do a frame I'm working on , he says its too cold , water vapor from compressor freezes even if he tries dry blasting ...  ::) my luck ...

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Don't use POR15 on anything that will see salt.  Even the salt air near the coast is bad for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. If POR-15 is not good around salt what should I use to seal-up the frame that will standup to the elements in Western PA winters?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Once or twice a year oil undercoating after pressure washing and letting it dry.
I use Bar and Chain oil thinned down with a little diesel fuel.

ANY sort of paint with crack / peel and let the salt , brine, ETC under it and rot things out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.