Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 ramcharger that has a AOD and would like to put in a 727 trans out of a 1979 ramcharger and was wondering what was involved in the swap. and if it would bolt in fairly nice and if the shift linkages would match

·
Registered
931 Posts
shift linkages should all be the same, as the OD part is all on the back end of the tranny, but what is the point? The OD trans is most likely the A518, which is just a 727 with OD added. Most would be going the other way with the swap.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yes it can, u might need new driveshafts and a new/modified crossmember, but like the others said, why would u do this?

Duane

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did this, and it wasn't to bad, you'll need a new tail shaft and housing if the trans that your going to be using isn't from a truck with a T-case. you will also need the T-case linkage from the T-case to the shifter as it is slightly shorter. the crossmember is the same. but the rear support is diffrent, its a little shorter. the drive shafts do need to be changed, shorter up front and longer out back. so if you have a doner truck this is a saturday job if you got a couple buddies.

Kyle

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
but the question remains, WHY? i could see it if the 518 was toast, and u needed something until it was rebuilt, but other than that?

Duane

·
Registered
100 Posts
My reason was because i had a perfectly good 727 out of a car and my 518 was gone. the owner before me changed my truck over to a carb insted of a TBI and cut the wiring all up along with pulling the computer so the over drive was toasted. so it was just cheaper to take stuff off a parts truck i have rather than rebuil the 727. but the truck will be getting a big block with the rebuilt 518 in a few months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea my 518 has been givin me alot of trouble. i had it rebuilt by a buddy of mine that has been rebuilding trans for a long time and within 2 weeks i lost 3rd and reverse. and i can get a complete 1979 ramcharger for about 200 dollars. is it still worth it to see whats wrong with the 518 again

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't do much highway driving so overdrive wasn't that important. but now that i have another daily driver my truck is only doing duty when taking trips up north to go off roading. that why i will end up putting a 518 back in it, along with a set of 4.10's. just make sure you keep all your parts as i'm sure people are looking to put 518's in place of 727's and you'll have a complete kit. lol

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
it worth it to see what went wrong, when u find out then decide if it worth rebuilding again. after 2 weeks though, something doesnt sound right.

Duane

·
Registered
100 Posts
yea two weeks is real short on a fresh rebuild.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I'd give my left nut and most of my right one to have a 518

1 - 12 of 12 Posts