Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have a 89 318 TBI D100 with failing a fuel pump and was thinking that since I have to go through the hassle of pulling the tank to replace the pump I might tackle a project I've been thinking about for a while ... doing a "retro" conversion to a carburetor and ditching the TBI altogether. This truck is strictly for street use.

I have access to an LD4B intake. Anyone running this intake on a 318 and, if so, what carb?

I've read the thread on the TBI to 4BBL swap and it sounds like I would need to do the orange box ignition thing as well, and that I'd be stuck with the Check Engine light (at least until it burned out).

Anyone LD4B-ers out there? Any help/suggestions from anybody who's done something like this appreciated!

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
this is an old intake (late 70's to prob late 80's) it was if i remember a dual plane small block intake. i dont see any problem using one on a 318 (most were installed on 318's and 340's) as for carb recomendations if memory serves me it has a square bore flange ( also called "Holley" flang) for carb mounting. that basicly leaves you the choice of any Holley varient with the exception of there Dominator series, or running a Carter/Edelbrock AFB or AVS carbs if you wwant to stick with the retro look of the older intake. keep your cfm on the 625 - 650 range and tuning will be no problem. or if all else fails you could use a spread bore carb ( Rochester Quadrajet, or a Carter Thermoquad) with a carb adapter but it will hurt you performance wise and make tuning a pain. i havent read the TBI to Carb swap thread but be sure use a fuel pressure regulator. David

G

·
The LD4B was for LA's with small ports, the LD-340 was for LA's with big ports, which, at the time, was the 340.
It should be a fine little performer. I even got great 318 performance out of the SP2-P intake. Especially if you're staying with the stock cam and heads.
If you go back with another electric pump, you will need a fuel pressure regulator. I use the Mallory single inlet, dual outlet unit. The main regulated outlet goes to the carb, the second ties into the return fuel line. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge to set the fuel pressure.
Yes to the orange box conversion. Now, stick or auto? Auto with overdrive? If auto with OD, you'll need a single 99cent toggle switch to control the overdrive (and lockup converter if equipped)...one switch handles both.
Agreed with a 600-ish carb. It'll be more responsive and is plenty big enough.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had two LD4B's, both on stock 318's in A-bodys (Demon and a Dart). I found them to be excellent intakes for the 318, really woke up the little engine. My '73 Dart Swinger with a stock 318, dual exhaust, and lazy 2.76 gears used to run 15.31's in the quarter and get 20 MPG on the highway using the LD4B and a Holley 600. Throttle response was very crisp.
One of my LD4B's had a Chrysler part number (Direct Connection?) , and also had provisions for mounting the A/C compressor. The other one did not, so beware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts