Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Online?

If so if your willing post up your Steam user ID and we get a group going sometimes.
I just started. Pretty fun game.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
willyjizz is mine.

How do you like steam? It drives me up a wall.... I hate having a third party software just to play the game.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Im actually a fan of steam. Mainly because I have a semi out dated DVD drive and it fails to read some of the newer stuff even with the firmware updates. I like not having to deal with disks laying around all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
29,593 Posts
Prepare for rant...

I despise Steam and just about any pollutant Valve comes up with.  Gabe Newell is in serious danger of eating the entire planet and becoming a celestial body himself but his mouth is even bigger.  As for MW2, I played it on the PS3 for a while but it really fails miserably to live up to it's predecessor, Call of Duty 4.  In essence you pay full price for what amounts to an expansion to CoD 4.  I gave up on it along time ago and it's dumbed down gameplay.  I'm not sure what to expect out of the CoD series in the future since the originators of the series have left Infinity Ward, the developer, along with over 25% of the crew due to Activision's business practices.  Activision will most likely pump out more garbage like MW2 to milk the series dry like they did with every other franchise they have that has any success.  I vote with my dollar and do not support such companies that are basically ruining the industry of gaming for their own profit.  Atari did the same thing in the '80s and it will happen again if people continue to support companies that do not care about their fans, only the money they get from selling cookie cutter games.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
willy J said:
Online?

If so if your willing post up your Steam user ID and we get a group going sometimes.
I just started. Pretty fun game.
what is a Steam user ID?

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to play Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 you have to download a third party software client called Steam. Steam is the validator to ensure you are not trying to play the multiplayer online version with a pirated copy. It also will not let you play the game at all (single player) until you "validate" your game with Steam to ensure its not a pirated copy.

So you have to go online to allow the Steam software to do its check and balance. Which means it can be a HUGE PITA!!! to play the game offline when you dont have a connection. Also you are at the whim and mercy of a third party to go to if you have problems with the game. You have to go through Activision and Steam for user support. Sometimes it sucks...

So your Steam user ID is what allows you to play online multiplayer.

To go along with some of Elwenils statement. Activision has done some very dirty stuff. An the main CEO has made it clear. Activision is in for the money. Not the gamer. Dangerous statement to make. They think since they are huge they are the only game in town.

The danger is that Electronic Arts is fully aware of what happened with the treatment of the artist and designers of the modern warfare series and want to contract them. EA and Activision are pretty bitter enemies. If Activision lost the Call of Duty franchise to EA then EA would have no competition for its Medal of Honor series which is currently working on a present time warfare simulator much like the Modern Warfare.

I like the Modern Warfare series. I am not a fan of the Call of Duty versions before that. I like the perks and additions that Modern Warfare Two has added to and enhanced. Call it a larger expansion pack if you will but I think the game is worth the play!

If I had my way I would only console game it on a PS3 but I dont have that. Instead I got a screamin laptop that plays it very well and an Xpadder program with an Xbox remote! Does Ok. Not the greatest not the worst. Fun to play online.

E' is right. If Activision continues the COD MW line they will run it into the ground. Thats fine. Im playing what they have out right now.

E' do you still play COD MW1 online? I play that too!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I played it a lot when it first came out on xbox 360. Haven't been on in a while. I didn't even bother downloading the new maps. Heard they got a new one coming out in June.

·
Registered
803 Posts
shuvelhead said:
I played it a lot when it first came out on xbox 360. Haven't been on in a while. I didn't even bother downloading the new maps. Heard they got a new one coming out in June.
Theyre coming out tomorrow actually. Three new maps and two old favorites from MW1.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
my user ID on there is Pro_Porch_Sitter . look forward to killin with some of y'all. on ps3

·
Super Moderator
29,593 Posts
Willy,
I have CoD 4 (MW1) for the PC but I haven't played it in years.  It was pretty fun back in the day and is still supported by a lot of PC players today.  I actually prefer much more tactical games as I'm not much of a "run and gun" style player.  I prefer team oriented games like MAG on the PS3 and the old SOCOM series on the Playstation 2, the original Ghost Recon on PC and probably one of my all time favorites is Battlefield 2, but only with the Project Reality mod which completely changes the gameplay and makes it more of a challenge.  Another thing that killed MW2 is the fact that it uses matchmaking and not dedicated servers.  That was pretty much a killing stroke to any FPS game on the PC.  Some people love Steam, I personally hate it and anything from Valve, but I'm said that before.

EA has already signed Vince Zampella and Jason West.  They have a new development studio called Respawn Entertainment, which is a good name all things considered.  It's sort of a full circle move since Zamp and West were originally members of the studio that produced the Medal of Honor series and thought they could do it better, so they left and formed Infinity Ward.  Now they are back with EA and you can bet the other members of Infinity Ward that are leaving the studio will be joining Respawn.  Even more members of Infinity Ward have joined the "Infinity Ward Employee Group" in a lawsuit against Activision because of their withheld bonuses and royalties from MW2.  You can probably expect more of them to leave IW and head over with their old bosses to Respawn as things get more sour at Activision.  

Activision will still milk the CoD franchise since they own it.  They recently announced the next title in the series from Treyarch who did CoD3 and CoD World at War.  The new title is called Black Ops and will supposedly be set in Vietnam and other places around the world in the late '60s timeframe.  Before the Activision fired Zamp and West they had announced that they would be bringing a third studio in to work on the CoD series and wanted to put out 2-3 CoD games a year.  If that isn't milking it, I don't know what is.  For those that don't know, Activision's CEO, Bobby Kotick, is the one who made the statements about charging more for games and increasing their profit margin.  He made statements to the fact that gamers would pay more and he would see to it that they do.  Most people in the industry, that are not Activision stock holders, pretty much see Kotick as the devil.  EA made the same mistakes in the past making too many EA Sports games with little to no changes every year and knows how they can get into trouble milking a franchise.  I hope they learned their lesson as they have been putting out some edgier titles with good, gamer friendly support like Dante's Inferno.  They did recently close the Pandemic studio and lay off 90% of it's employees so they may not be out of the woods yet.  

Ubisoft is another studio on the brink of becoming a very bad name in gaming.  With their ridiculous DRM campaign with the newest games and complete lack of any attention to what the fans want, they are making the next Ghost Recon game into a CoD clone and have not made mention of another Rainbow Six game that everyone wants.  Codemasters also went down with making Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising which had such potential on PC and on consoles but they rushed it to make deadlines and make their company happy and it was a disaster.  Sad because it was the first real combat simulation that worked decently on consoles.  They refused to even acknowledge the problems with the game and on their company forums had Nazi moderators deleting posts that looked bad for the first few weeks until word spread about how bad the game was.  It was a long time before a patch was announced and then it took forever to get released on all platforms.  These companies need to wake up and look at studios like Polyphony Digital.  PD is a Sony studio that makes the Gran Turismo series and even if you don't like racing games, there is no denying the appeal of the GT series.  GT5 has been in development for over 5 years.  They could release it half finished with bugs and still outsell most games on all platforms but they refuse to release anything less than the best game they can make and thankfully, Sony supports them.  GT5's success will hopefully show developers and publishers that not everything has to meet a deadline and not everyone wants "shovelware" games.  Zipper Interactive is another Sony studio that is making fans happy.  They created the SOCOM series and recently released MAG, a game that supports 256 players in one game together on a console with no lag.  There are a lot of PC games that can't reach even 64 players with no lag.  Zipper frequently releases free add-ons to MAG and is constantly tweaking the game.  SOCOM 4 has been announced and will use the new Sony Move controller which is basically a three dimensional mouse.  Think of it like aiming on a FPS with a laser pointer rather than a mouse or controller reticle.  So far it's shaping up to be a great game.  I think they learned a bit from the unhappy fans after Zipper passed SOCOM Confrontation off to Slant 6 to make it while they worked on MAG.  Another Sony studio, Naughty Dog who makes the Uncharted series is a good fan pleaser with lots of free stuff and game perks like bonus weekends and stuff.  Their Uncharted 2 game is the most critically acclaimed video game in history and has won more awards than can conveniently be counted.  Hopefully a few more studios will put gamers first and see that it leads to great success and that they don't have to cut corners to make huge profits.

Ok, I'm done for now.  Much more and I might as well get a job as a gaming journalist.  ;D

·
Registered
75 Dodge W200 360/NP435/203 DANA 60'S
516 Posts
I have the wii so its only MW1 for me

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What sucks is console brands are stuck playing with that brand.

PS3 with PS3
Xbox with Xbox
Wii....well you guys play with yourselves anway. (minds out of the gutter, the Wii was designed for social gaming.)

the PC gamers have a broader range of people to play with but there is no crossing over between the engines. PC gamers cant play xbox gamers nor can xbox gamers play PS3 gamers on the COD MW2 platform.

·
Super Moderator
29,593 Posts
As far as I know the only major game release that crossed over was Final Fantasy XI and I think PS2 and PC players could join together on that but I may be wrong.  I seriously doubt that Xbox and PS players will ever be able to play together.  The fanboyism craze has taken hold so much that any sort of game would just be a huge argument.  Better to leave that sort of thing on N4G, random forums and at GameStop, lol. 

A lot of it has to do with the different processors and the totally different coding required for the same game.  In the end, it's the gamer that loses out.  Back a year or so ago the 360 was on top and most multiplatform games were designed for it.  It had the largest install base and would generally sell more copies.  Also the 360's architecture is very similar to a Windows based PC, for obvious reasons, so it's a no brainer to design a game for that platform and make a easy port to PC and a crappy port to the less popular PS3.  The issue was that the graphics on a 360 version was almost always better.  On a PC your graphic can depend on what hardware you are running but on a console everything is constant so it's up to the coding.  Naturally the PS3 ports were done as cheaply as they could get away with since they would sell less. 

Now the tables have turned quite a bit.  The huge success of the PS3 last year and games like Uncharted 2 have made a lot of developers and publishers take the PS3 more seriously.  Hands down, there is no console game out to date that can top Uncharted 2's overall graphics look and performance.  Now game designers have taken note of what can be done with the PS3 and are starting to warm up to it.  Even Valve who previously said that the PS3 was a lost cause has said they are up to coding for the PS3 now.  But there is a new problem.  Games take up lots of space on a disc.  The PS3 uses BluRay discs which can easily hold 50 GB of data.  The 360 uses the old DVD technology which is limited to something like 8.5 GB on a dual layer disc.  Microsoft has limited most games to only 3 DVDs to limit production costs.  That gives a 360 game a little better than half the capacity of a typical AAA PS3 game title. 

So the PS3 wins right?  Wrong.  In the case of multiplatform titles, everyone loses.  Microsoft is paying out money hand over fist to independent developers to make sure that many games are not PS3 exclusives and that they are made for both systems and are somewhat equal.  The millions of dollars Microsoft is willing to throw around makes it worth it for a game developer to cut corners and make an "ok" game for both systems rather than max out the capacity of a BluRay on the PS3 like Sony's in-house developers like Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, Zipper and others are doing.  It's getting to the point that unless it's a rather simple game, like EA's Dante's Inferno, the game suffers greatly from what it could be on the PS3 alone.  One look at Final Fantasy XIII on both systems is like a slap int he face for 360 owners.  The level of compression of the video in that game on the 360 completely ruined it's quality and the cutscenes that SquareEnix is known for.  The fact that PS3 exclusives look so much better is boosting PS3 sales but many big name titles will always be multiplatform like the Grand Theft Auto series and others and will obviously suffer due to the disc capacity of the 360 and Microsoft's unwillingness to admit the life of the 360 is near it's ultimate end and using last generation tech is not the way to go.  And the amount of money they are tossing around is nothing small either.  Rockstar and Sony pulled a bit of a heist on Microsoft when Microsoft paid millions to get the two expansions for GTA4 a year or so before the PS3 could get them.  Rockstar then took that money and put it all to the development of Agent, a PS3 exclusive.  Naturally Microsoft was not happy, lol.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow!!! Your a geek!
{cool}

Pretty up an up on the gaming politics too.
I like console gaming. Always have. Did not really get into the PC gaming until Fallout came out. Even then I stuck with that genre. If the game came out on a console though I prefered that. Then the controllers started getting better! I have to say I really like the Xbox controller with the PC. As long as windows keeps trying to force everyone to get on board with the windows live where the games are instantly compatable. I am getting irritated with the need for the 'net to play a game. Even just the single player campaigns.

Thats mostly why I will stay with consolse gaming. If I buy the game I want to go home, pop it in and get to gaming. I dont want to load this, verify this, look for the dang key code.

That and with Steams antics with the COD MW2 BS. They sold the game early. Gamers could not play the game until Steam threw the switch so gamers could play. All the console gamers who managed to get an early bird copy went home, popped it in and went to town in campaign.

The PS3 can do a hell of a lot more then what the market is allowing it to do. Its the titles that are holding it back becuase the big funders ...... activision, EA... cough cough.... are wanting profits. If they can cross the big three, Sony, Xbox and PC then they know they got the money rollin in. Sucks the developer has to dumb some stuff down in one arena to make it work for another.

Cool info on the Rockstar/Sony shenanigan... rumor or true? Where did you find that out.

·
Super Moderator
29,593 Posts
As far as I know the Rockstar/Sony deal is true and was confirmed a few months ago by Rockstar.  Agent is in development now and we'll probably hear something about it at E3 later this year.  I read that when asked for a comment, Microsoft had none, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.