Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
May I suggest an O2 sensor and stop guessing.
I have a 800 AVS thunder on my 505, and setup the 3 level wilth the O2, Idle (15), part throttle (14.5) and WOT (13.5).
work like a charm.
I figured it out. I didnt understand Edelbrock's calibration chart before, but I do now.
If I could delete my original post, I would, but I can't.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
If I could delete my original post, I would, but I can't.
Leaving your original post up will help us in the future. They were good questions with great answers. (The peanut gallery will persist. Just ignore them)

Reactions: Levisdad

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I have an Edelbrock Performer Series Owner's Manual but unfortunately it doesn't include the 1412.

Bucky

· Administrator
29,507 Posts

· Registered
3,194 Posts
Ha! I highly doubt my original post would help anyone.
No, it wouldn't. But the conversation that followed was filled with info that I too did not know. So thanks for bringing up the question!

Reactions: Mad Max

· Registered
3,194 Posts
Mainly the jet sizes in comparison to drill bits. That would be a good way to tell what I have if the numbers are not legible. I have rebuilt a carb before but it was just a 2bbl Holley and that was just new gaskets and cleaning. I don't know jack about fine tuning to perfection.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I don't know jack about fine tuning to perfection.
In my day we mainly went by seat of the pants feeling when you romped on it. Now they prefer dynometers, all sorts of sensors measuring temperatures, mixtures, vacuum, pressures, mileage & whatnot.

Sadly carb tuning is becoming a lost art.

Bucky

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mainly the jet sizes in comparison to drill bits. That would be a good way to tell what I have if the numbers are not legible. I have rebuilt a carb before but it was just a 2bbl Holley and that was just new gaskets and cleaning. I don't know jack about fine tuning to perfection.
OK, well that would be helpful if the Edelbrock jets were numbered that way. Maybe other ones are, but not Edelbrock.
Ive rebuilt a few carburetors but like you said just cleaning and new gaskets. Never had to mess with jets or rods, but now that Im at a higher elevation I guess I have to. But all my other cars are still driveable even though I havent messed with the carbs on those. Im guessing this carb had other problems aside from the jets.

· Administrator
29,507 Posts
The book gives you the decimal size (Ie .086"). That can be looked up on drill charts, or better drill indexes give the decimal size. Also that can be read by a micrometer by measuring the drill bit. The issue is you need one of the expensive 100 plus drill bit sets to get all the drill sizes. The small sets skip too much to easily say which one fits, and which does not.

Font Number Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Rectangle Gas Font Kitchen appliance accessory Metal

Font Pattern Parallel Number Rectangle

For many, it may be easier to buy a kit with a good assortment of jets. Rather then trying to figure out what you have. There is always the possibility that someone has drilled out the jet to a larger size.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The book gives you the decimal size (Ie .086"). That can be looked up on drill charts, or better drill indexes give the decimal size. Also that can be read by a micrometer by measuring the drill bit. The issue is you need one of the expensive 100 plus drill bit sets to get all the drill sizes. The small sets skip too much to easily say which one fits, and which does not.

View attachment 637893

View attachment 637894

View attachment 637895

For many, it may be easier to buy a kit with a good assortment of jets. Rather then trying to figure out what you have. There is always the possibility that someone has drilled out the jet to a larger size.
Thanks, I have already figured out what parts I need and have ordered a kit. And yes, there is a possibility that someone has drilled out the jets. They have obviously been messed with before and that could explain why this car does not run anymore and my other ones do. All be it, they do run a bit rich, but not so much that I can't drive them.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts