Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got the strickers/latch adjusted pretty well and everything is in place but body flex, I guess ,still leaves some movement.  Hate rattles :mad:, any tricks?.....weather-stripping?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
If it's adjusted correctly and still has enough movement to rattle, weatherstrip would be the next on my list, though you may have to readjust the liftgate after installing the new weatherstrip.

·
Registered
588 Posts
when I removed the hatch lock ass'y, you could tell that the factory had installed a foam "wrapping" around the rods that extend from the center to the ends. Some waterpipe insulation would since it is sold to fit around the pipe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I have a little of that going on in my doors.  The rear....not sure.  Rattles :mad:

G

·
    Just be very careful, when adjusting those hinges. I did not have mine aligned correctly and when I closed the hatch they bound up and stressed the mounts on the hatch side which is fiberglass. There was no way that I could fix it, and lucky for me I found a hatch at a local yard, that's the good news. The bad news is that hatch must be at least 300 lbs...
    This was 15 years back, and RCs were plentiful. I check a local yard and every so often they get an RC. Every time I looked one of the RCs over,
(usually they were pretty beat up)...however  I never found any with broken hatch hinges, nor any misalligned hatches. So I believe the design is pretty well made. I don't believe it is a body flex issue, seems to me there is too much over all structural metal involved in the hatch frame opening. Now if there is frame damage from a prior rear area collision, that's another possibility. Considering that these hatches are unique to that RC, which are getting hard to find with each passing year. And my experience. I would take my RC to a reputable body shop to have that hatch adjusted. I checked the online auction and saw a few RC hatches going for $400 plus. So a reasonable fee for the adjustment may be worth the investment vs guesswork.
As far as the weatherstripping is concerned. I don't think that should be much of a factor. I restored a 1964 Buick, and used Soft Seal, weatherstripping to replace the weathered OEM. The doors were a little tight to close this was 1987. However the conventional wisdom back then was to let the car bake in the sun, which in FL is not a problem..  and the seals will conform to the internal minute configuerations. After I did that the seals "set". I still have the 64 and the doors now close with no extra effort. If that is the case with this hatch I don't know. I would contact the manufacturer of the weatherstrip to get their advice..  Good Luck.     

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.