Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '85 has the silly little pocket in the instrument panel, above and right of the steering wheel. I don't know what it is supposed to be for (garage door opener? Kleenex? small gun?) The former owner kept the radio remote in there. (Why does the radio need a remote when it is less than 2 feet away?)
Has anyone ever mounted gauges or switches or ? in there? I was thinking it would be a good spot for small gauges, but it would be a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Don't have one on mine

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I noticed that many of them don't. I don't know what years had it and what didn't.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I mounted some gauges in mine in the 4x.. I cut the pocket out and put a piecs of thin sheet metal ( old computer case metal) over it & screwed it in place.. kinda makes it tough to get inside the dash, but it can be done.. ;D
i'm sure it could be done a lil neater, but this ain't no show winner..LOL

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
did the same with mine but used a small peice of lexan plastic and drilled that to hold two small gauges, temp and oil. then glued the lexan into the inside of the opening with contact cement to rip out if I had to

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Moparman440 said:
Yeah, I noticed that many of them don't. I don't know what years had it and what didn't.
'88 & newer have the message center located where the cubby hole useda be. Check engine lite, etc

·
Registered
29,628 Posts
if you look in a dealer options book its CIG pack holder / if you put a pack of CIG,s in sideways with a lighter on top they jam in there perfect

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
fasternu said:
You mean no one else keeps ther carrier pigeon there?
y, but i got hungry and it just didnt seem sportin' to shoot him in that hole (not to mention i didnt wanna shoot up my interior), so I let him fly and got him with the shotgun.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
What was the little black plate for under the "unleaded fuel only" sticker? There were two toggles switches in my 4x4 85 that were never hooked up to anything. My dad said there were extra lights on the bumper when he got it but he took them off because they didn't work, so i'm not sure if they were factory or not. Probably not

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Ram1985Custom said:
What was the little black plate for under the "unleaded fuel only" sticker? There were two toggles switches in my 4x4 85 that were never hooked up to anything. My dad said there were extra lights on the bumper when he got it but he took them off because they didn't work, so i'm not sure if they were factory or not. Probably not
push button switch for a cargo light would be there if the pickup had one. Why the hole in the face plate was so large for a small square switch I don't know. After pulling the face plate, there's another black plastic peice stuck on. Pull it off and the square hole for the cargo light switch is in the dash.

I've mounted a Volt Meter in that area, with an angle ring to tilt the gauge face up a bit.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Donk said:
Ram1985Custom said:
push button switch for a cargo light would be there if the pickup had one. Why the hole in the face plate was so large for a small square switch I don't know. After pulling the face plate, there's another black plastic peice stuck on. Pull it off and the square hole for the cargo light switch is in the dash.

I've mounted a Volt Meter in that area, with an angle ring to tilt the gauge face up a bit.
I should have known...the cab i now use has it. I didn't even think of it ::) . The cargo light isn't very bright, do they make different bulbs for it? Like halogens or anything?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Mine holds my little black book, another little black book on top of that (not enough room in the 1st one), then i got 2 of the most used tapes on top of them, and then money folded in half and wedged between them

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Actually it's a lot more than $3 to make up that room.

·
7,995 Posts
BOGGER35 said:
thats about three dollars and a rubber
;D ;D
Mine holds my little black book, another little black book on top of that (not enough room in the 1st one)
Haynes and Chilton's?
then i got 2 of the most used tapes on top of them
Duct tape and Scotch tape?
and then money folded in half and wedged between them
How do you fold a dime?

;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.