Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the routes we use to go to Carlisle and was wondering if anyone else used them on a regular basis.

We have towed our travel trailer over them 3 times now and was just curious if anyone has done this also.

These are the routes that go over Blue Mountain(or one of them in that line). You go up one side to make a 15 mph u turn to just come down the other side.

My 99 V10 and 15 6.4l both performed similar. The 99 with 5 speed held 2nd and the 6.4l went to 1st but they both came up over at the posted 40 mph speed limit.

Just curious if anyone has pulled them in a Cummins or even a 360 or 318. 

We went to Fowler's Hollow state park this weekend and I had to explain to the wife(again) that the Hemi makes its power at about 4500 rpm, so it has to turn to be giving all 410 horses.  And when the fan clutch kicked in she thought it was blowing up. And I held 3rd gear to go down the steep slope without using the brakes and all she heard was the noise lol.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
We have a camp off 641 in Neelyton/Blairs Mill before you cross the mountain to spring run. You can go Mountain ft road (at the base of the mountain on the left as you start up the mountain on 641) to Blairs Mill and hit 74 to get to 641. I used to go 74 but choose to use the PA TP now. 641 is not a bad drive but 74 to 274 to 850 really stinks with the hills, turns and small towns.

I used my 93 cummins (stock) up 850-274-74 into Blairs mill pulling my 3200# camper and had no problems. I kicked it out of O/D and it did hit 2nd gear at the top of the mountain on 274 with the hairpin turn but............  My dad's F-150 with a 302 would overheat and do 20 mph up that with 2K behind it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sure is beautiful country there. We really enjoyed our time at the state park and always enjoy the drive.  Guess then they pulled just fine on that mountain.  It doesn't really seem steep until you are dragging something up over it, the new trucks control a trailer well,  so going down is no issue at all.

Thanks for the input. 

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Cowans gap state park is great they have a beach swimming area, cabins, food court, and kayak rentals. Raystown lake is great. They are 30-45 mins from Shade gap.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Glasgow is by Pittsburgh?  Maybe its a different Glasgow, wouldnt Carlisle be much easier to just go the turnpike?  I take 322 to 34 to go to Carlisle, I did 74 once and that was enough.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Mopar572 said:
Glasgow is by Pittsburgh? Maybe its a different Glasgow, wouldnt Carlisle be much easier to just go the turnpike? I take 322 to 34 to go to Carlisle, I did 74 once and that was enough.
I would think unless you are planning to vacation while driving there. ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time I try to sell something on Pennswoods, like my 99 Van I am trying to sell, everyone thinks I am by Pittsburgh.  I tried searching for this Glasgow numerous times and finally I had to just browse the map.  Sure enough there is a glasgow there.

My Glasgow is next to Prince Gallitzin State Park, just above Altoona. That is Glendale Lake.

We are going to try cowans gap next year.  Not a big Raystown fan, but we love Camping and Hiking at Trough Creek.

We are going to Trough Creek in the next month, and our first trip to Ole bull state park soon. Which is in the complete opposite direction lol.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Yeah really when I looked it up that's where it put you.

You are 1.5hrs from our camp, and it's 45 mins from there to Carlisle down 641.

I looked up Trough Creek. Looks awesome how many water falls are there? I see there is an ice mine not far away either. Have you been there? I could not find any info on the ice mine I'd like to know when you can go check it out.

We are getting a "new to us" Harley Electra glide next Friday and riding to the mountains so a few trips while there would be so cool.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the ice mine is open year round, though the accessories road may be closed in winter.

It is best viewed on a hot day to enjoy the cooling effect.

Not sure how many waterfalls there are, but there are some awesome trails that are fairly easy walks.  The one takes you to were edgar Allen Poe wrote the raven I believe.

The whole area has some great roads for riding a Harley. 

Hope you get a chance to check it out. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
devildodge said:
I believe the ice mine is open year round, though the accessories road may be closed in winter.

It is best viewed on a hot day to enjoy the cooling effect.

Not sure how many waterfalls there are, but there are some awesome trails that are fairly easy walks. The one takes you to were edgar Allen Poe wrote the raven I believe.

The whole area has some great roads for riding a Harley.

Hope you get a chance to check it out. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
Well that's cool. I'll have to let my wife know about Edgar.

Yes we plan on doing some riding around up there. I will let you know. {cool}

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
My wife called about the ice mine and it's closed. Only open memorial do labor day.  :'(

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's crazy.  I did not know that. I thought we were there in October...but I also didn't think it closed at all.

Well, hope you can still make it out there to see it at some point.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
devildodge said:
That's crazy. I did not know that. I thought we were there in October...but I also didn't think it closed at all.

Well, hope you can still make it out there to see it at some point.
She called and they said the ice melt over the winter. God's way I guess. So they close it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.