Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They seem to get great reviews. I bought the upgraded essex from RockAuto and was laying it in for a test fit and to get a general look, and I have to say I'm not super impressed. It's pretty thin, so I can't imagine how the regular cutpile would be as the pic on RockAuto makes it look like the essex is a lot thicker and more plush. I ordered some Kilmat and I have a small spot about the size of a deck of cards that has rust that I will need to cut out and weld in a new piece, and will clean it up before the new carpet goes in so I laid it in just to get to see how it looks.

It doesn't have the same look at all as stock, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the carpet on the doors and the sides in the back, will have to figure out how to get the new stuff on there to match better. Future project, I guess.

I was mainly was curious if most carpet kits around the wheel wells have the stitching on the top/sides or if it's raw like the pics of mine. This doesn't, so it will be tough to get clean and straight enough cuts to get it to look nice for a novice like me. Curious what others thought of their carpet kits and if this is just the way it is. It's not a show car, so it will be good enough.

Wood Flooring Composite material Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Wood Grille Tints and shades Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys typically rent a steamer to get it stretched out and to lay nice and flat? I've read that, so might try it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked at @Kohnkewfd 's pics, and I see how he did the wheel wells, so disregard my concern. It goes under brackets that the side panels for the sides of the rear connect to, so it looks clean. I didn't realize that.

A quick question. Has anyone removed the carpet from those rear panels or the door panels to glue new carpet to so that it matches the floor carpet? I was looking at it but not sure of the best way to remove it and not damage it.

Wood Grey Beige Flooring Floor

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Original carpet is 80-20 loop or nylon loop, I believe. They offer it for the muscle cars (like a 67 coronet) but not for your ramcharger. Whcih is a shame.

If you try to remove the original carpet off the metal, expect the carpet to tear. That glue is industrial strength and very strong.
You're exactly right, it is so nasty that it rips like paper. Good call on the carpet, that makes sense. It's not really glued anywhere other than very light tar on the wheel wells, on the door panels and the sides in the rear. Removing it has been easy so far.

Most of the carpet is going to be a breeze, the challenge is going to be re-doing the panels in sides on the rear and on the door panels. I think pulling it off and gluing it back on won't be hard, the tough part is going to be that little strip that goes along the edge and whether that can be saved and reattached to the new carpet. I'll have to see if I can heat it up and separate it from the carpet so that I can glue it back on and make it look nice. I'll have to do some analysis and testing in areas that aren't easily visible to see how it's going to work.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those wanting to go the Kilmat route, I just had to order a second box of 36 sq. ft. 80 mil Kilmat, as the first box barely got the bed done right down the little slope to the back of the front seats. I'm hoping the second box will take care of the front part of the RC, and then the last thing I'll do is the sides in the rear outside of the roll bar.

Then, new carpet goes down.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Wood

Have any of you touched the floor in front of the rear seat (under any carpeting or insulation), where people's feet would go when driving? It's so hot on bare metal that I can't hold my hand do it after a drive of 15 minutes or so. With the Kilmat down, it's still hot, but not burning hot.

I'm wondering if I have a problem with my mufflers (plugged up, rusted, coming apart inside or whatever) and have an appointment to get a new exhaust system installed in about 2 1/2 weeks (Borlas, 2 1/2" pipes and a crossover tube). I'll be curious to see if I had an issue with the old, rusted out exhaust and mufflers or if that's just how hot they get. I've been working on cars since I was in my teens (almost 40 years), and I don't ever remember muflers getting that hot when just cruising around. Holy schnikey.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The exhaust being that hot makes me think it's running very lean, I had to rejet the Edelbrock 600 when I had one on my 440 in my truck even through it was ok on the 440 in my Charger, too many other differences between them to be correct for the much heavier truck.
Once I get the new exhaust in I'll see if I still have the heat issue, and then rejetting the carb might be the next step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts