Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready, (Yeah as soon as the weather gets good enough), to install a custom built 360LA motor. My 90 RC has the 318LA in it now. I've run it the last 55k miles with 360 injectors a MP .443 300hp roller cam, (Installed 2 deg. advanced), and an Edelbrock intake using a custom adapter plate I made. It's got headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust with dual air injected cats for emissions here in MD. This motor storms for what it is, but just doesn't make the torque the new 360 will develop and pull my boat with.

My question is: While I'm sure the 318 computer, (Which is 8 months old, and a re-man from Dodge), will run the motor, I'm wondering how much better it will perform with a computer from a Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton truck?

A friend of mine, who owns a parts store, says the fuel and timing curves / mapping in the computers in these trucks were designed around towing and hauling heavy loads, (Based on their ratings and load carrying rated capability), and would probably offer the best performance.

Have any of you guys done this swap? Can you offer any tips or "lessons learned" information. From what I can see in the FSM, the 88-90 SBEC's, (Computers), are identical, looking at the schematics, so the harness is a direct bolt in.

Jet wants over $400.00 to build me a "Custom" SBEC specific for my application..and I'll be without a computer and a truck, for at least 2 weeks. I'd appreciate any feedback from any of you guys who have already done this.

Thanks,
Dave

PS: When I pull the motor, I plan to draft up a dimensioned print of the adapter plate I fabbed that allows me to run the Edelbrock with the TBI. I've got to gurantee the CNC machine shop I'm using, payment for a minimum production run quantity....

Preliminary estimates on the sale price of these adapters looks like they're going to run right around $55.00 each. I hope to have them available by early spring. Like I've said, it produces a difference that you can feel in your right foot and the design is proven. I've run mine now for 55k trouble free miles. ;D

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The same computer is used regardless of GVW. A 360 powered RC or D150 uses the same computer as a 360 powered W250 or a 350 B-van, the only difference being Federal or Cali specs and three transmission choices 727, 518 or manual tranny.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Why don't you start a separate thread about the adapter? It sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about which manifold you're running and what the plate looks like.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You know RWTD this depends alot on how you built that 360, how much more did you modify it over it's stock configuration that will a factory computer even allow the new motor to make it's full potential, in another words if you built this motor to make around 300 ft lbs at 2000rpm it would suck if it all it did was 250 ft lbs and you'll never know the other 50 is missing without a dyno check since the computer will just keep it restricted
Might be worth it to wait for Jet to do there magic if you made some considerable modifiactions, and then will the tbi actually flow what you need depending on the changes made.
The adpater plates are pretty simple to do, a piece of T-6 1/4" cut out nice to conform to the intake, the tbi squared up over the center of plenum, hole saw the throttle bores and polish it and you're done.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ED-3,
Might just have to get the dual pick-up re-curved distributor and gold box out and install a 750 cfm Road Deamon carb and forget about all the emissions crap all together.. That's one way of getting what you want.

Dave ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.