Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 99 Durango with a 318 and four wheel drive.  not doing bad on mpg, but want to know what anybody has tried and if it's worked.  all stock, pulling about 15 mpg with 193,xxx miles.  any chips working? Air intakes?  i've seen clams on ebay from different sites but i'd rather here it from somebody who isn't making money off what i buy.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
We have a 98 with the same mpg. I'd like to know how to get more out of ours too.

I put one of those "vortex" intake spacers on my 3.9 Dakota with no difference.  {noclue}

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
put it on a trailer and pull it behind a jetta?
my buddy had a 97 dakota and couldnt get better than 14 mpg.
loaded or empty,flyin or crawlin,mileage never changed.we tried everything (i was working at the dodge dealership at the time)
could not make it any better.
my 80 power wagon was better on gas.
maybe now with better chips,bigger exhaust and a less restrictive air cleaner you might improve it,but i'm curious to see how much it would cost versus how much you will save in fuel.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i had some luck with the jet chip on 99 5.9 durango.  as long as i stayed out of the gas was able to avgerage 16/17

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've had a 99 with 318 and a 98 with 360.  The 360 gets better mileage than the 318, all the options were the same etc.  I tried headers, air intake, and superchips programmer on the 99 w/318...huge waste of money!  No change in mileage and I drive pretty mild, rarely speed at all and don't get on it much at all.  I think you're in the ballpark with mileage there, I wouldn't expect any better. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
so far I'm getting 17.5 mpg on highway with the 4.7L. mods are wanna be cold air intake and pulstar spark plugs. thats up from 16 mpg with just the cold air and up from from 14.5 with out the cold air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts