Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That sure would cure my Jeep itch...

I've got a welder. I can get extra doors and hardware pretty easily. How hard would it be to make a very basic door frame?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
I think an Arizona member did just that once.

IIRC he cut the Window Frame off the door, welded the door skin and smoothed it up, and then IIRC he cut the Window Frame in 2 halves (outside half and inside half) and grafted the Inside Halves to the Top for the Window to seat/seal to  ;)

You did mean Factory Style Half-Doors right?  The style that came on the Early - Mid 1974 Ramchargers/Traildusters?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more of tube type doors. I had a set of '74 doors (lost them in a flood) but that still leaves the cabin rather confined. I saw that Gmule has a set, but how would someone who has never touched a welder in his life make something like that?

If that isnt possible, maybe i need to borrow Dodgeman's cutter...

·
Registered
488 Posts

Here's a set of more radical half doors mocked up on a parts truck.

·
2,317 Posts
well for me it is to get rid of the post.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
84/2wdRc said:
Sorry but whats the purpose for half doors?
RC's have a relatively long, flat hood. It makes it hard to see where you are going when you are cresting a hill. With full doors you can't exactly hang out the door to see where you are going. With half doors (or even less if I get my way) you can hang outside, unobstructed, with a bigger field of view.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
To add to that, half doors are usually exclusive to rock crawling where leaning out to look at an obstacle and tire placement on a rock can be very helpful to some.  A lot of rigs even run lights in the wheelwells to light up the ground around tires in low light conditions.  I personally do not like half doors for safety reasons since they are next to useless when you are properly strapped in place and you have to either loosen or remove your restraints to lean out.  I prefer to use a spotter and either radio and/or hand signals since they have a much better view of my tire placement anyway.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I cant find any pics of when I cut my doors...hmmm..must have been on desktop computer that crashed. I dont know if this pic is any good

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts