Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have my 77 RC insured thru Hagerty. My Farmers agent recommended them because that is what they insure their classics with. I may be upping my insurance value with Hagerty because Hagerty is raising the values of our trucks pretty fast. Hmmm... now I wonder if the classic car prices are skyrocketing because the insurance companies know they can get more money that way by valuating them higher. Yup... scam.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
We can only buy gov't insurance, and its mandatory. I pay for as little as possible knowing I have to deal with repairing any mishaps on my own anyways. If I get any worthwhile compensation, its a bonus.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow, skimmed through it a bit but for Hagerty to total that truck wasn’t necessary…

It appeared to be ALL cosmetic damage. Insurance is all a scam in the end of the day anyways, right?
That is my thread and my truck.

Looking back and knowing what I know now, I should have had more coverage on it than I had which is my fault.

The part that left a bad taste in my mouth was the fact they were not willing to work with me. I cant remember exact figures because it has been afew years but they quoted $1500 or more to replace the just the grill. That overpriced item alone, had it been reduced to a more reasonable price, would have kept the truck from having to have a “salvaged” title.

I argued and argued but couldnt change their mind so I just dropped the claim. It wasnt worth a salvage title. Also, had bigger fish to fry at the time with homeowners insurance as you could see in my thread.

I now have the truck insured through American National (not sure if they are national or just local to me to be honest) with an agreed value policy that wont make me cry if something happens to it. Dont get me wrong, I still wouldnt be very happy, but I would atleast get a nice check. I pay like $300/year or so for $18k worth of coverage. They have been great but they all are until you need to use them.

My advice, pay for an agreed value that you wont shed a tear to receive if something happens. Would have saved me a lot of headache had I done that initially. Live and learn.

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
IF you can find an NOS 77/78 grille, the seller will likely want close to $1500 for it. It's nuts I know but having one professionally restored will run ya about the same money. I thought they would have totaled because needed parts that ya can just pick up the phone and order.

About 7-8 years ago I was driving to work in the dark and a blizzard. The 2wd truck that was holding me up gave up and pulled over. The fwd whatever between me and him went deer in the headlights. Eventually the truck started doing a u-turn the same time the fwd started going around and they got together. I drove around it and totally missed that the clown in the 2wd just took off. Somehow the idiot in the fwd got my plate and said I hit him because a week later I had a state cop at my door talking about a hit and run charge.

Walked him around my truck, said show me where it looks like it hit anything [recently]. Had the convo about wouldn't he have rather been driving my truck than his cruiser in that storm. As in no damn reason why I'd be creeping along and then have to give up. Pretty much had him convinced of my reality, but he had to give me some kinda ticket because he's a cop. Something stupid about unsafe lane change, $100 fine and no points.

I was gonna fight it in court on GP but had anxiety about the cop being a dick and trying to go for the hit and run so I talked to a lawyer. Lawyer said he could beat the ticket for $800 but advised to just pay it and let the insurance companies work it out. Sat down with State Farm and discovered that my vehicle qualified for accident forgiveness so no hit to my rates because of the claim. Drilled down on the detail and it turns out they'll forgive (2) accidents that happen within some time frame.

It took a great deal of personal restraint to resist the urge to go wipe out the other side of the car.

SAM_0891.JPG SAM_0897.JPG SAM_0888.JPG

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you get to hit Chrysler Nats, they have decent 70’s grille/surrounds for about 2-300.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you get to hit Chrysler Nats, they have decent 70’s grille/surrounds for about 2-300.
Thanks for the info, I dont NEED one, the appraiser added it to the quote to be replaced because of minor damage. I could go the RWG75 route and polish up the one I have but the videos of him doing it wear me out and Im just watching him do all the work.

I would love to make it to the nationals one day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Earlier you go, better stuff you can find. Be aware, lots of overpriced junk also. I almost bought a new grille surround until I seen it was smashed in on the bottom for $100.

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
there is NOTHING wrong with a "salvage" title , because once the vehicle is repaired to satisfactory condition at the insurance inspection place and it passes , they issue a nice NEW clean title [ non-salvage] l,ve had it done several times on vehicles that were worth it , but l,ve also have bought salvage title vehicles and drove them for years [ the insurance co only lets you put minimum coverage on them at scrap price value ]

Reactions: u2slow

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
Varies by state. In PA the title gets branded "reconstructed" to indicate previously branded "salvage" and ya gotta have the state do the inspection which is basically an intense version of the annual safety inspection. Will put off some buyers.

Hey, I'm pretty tired of polishing that grille. Don't think I've touched it for 3 months. FWIW: seems to be get a bit easier as the grit gets finer.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Also, many insurance companies will not insure a reconstructed titled vehicle for love or money. Here, they give you a state issued VIN, which means dam near nobody will insure you. My Sister went that routs with an HHR, that got some body damage on one side. They could insure it with their insurance company, but when they gave it to their son, he could not, unless he had other vehicles insured by the same company. So the car is still in their name, even though he is living in Maine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Varies by state. In PA the title gets branded "reconstructed" to indicate previously branded "salvage" and ya gotta have the state do the inspection which is basically an intense version of the annual safety inspection. Will put off some buyers.

Hey, I'm pretty tired of polishing that grille. Don't think I've touched it for 3 months. FWIW: seems to be get a bit easier as the grit gets finer.
Thats Indiana as well, you can have a salvage title changed to a “rebuilt” title but still cant insure it for as much and that rebuilt title turns alot of people off still. Either way, it wasnt worth it to me so I just dropped it. Like I said, live and learn. If it happens again, Ill be just fine. Kinda funny this topic came up, today marks three years since that tornado.

Im a machinist by trade, have done some mold work and Ill tell you a little polishing secret:

That extra 15 minutes with a coarser grit will save you 4 hrs with a finer one. As long as you put in the time with coarser grits, it does just get easier as you go. If you take short cuts, it only gets harder as you get finer and finer.

As you well know by this point, all you are doing is replacing scratches with finer scratches until your eyes cant see individual scratches anymore, they just see shiny.

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
That extra 15 minutes with a coarser grit will save you 4 hrs with a finer one. As long as you put in the time with coarser grits, it does just get easier as you go. If you take short cuts, it only gets harder as you get finer and finer.

As you well know by this point, all you are doing is replacing scratches with finer scratches until your eyes cant see individual scratches anymore, they just see shiny.
I discovered that early with my proof of concept grille and pretty sure I covered it one of the videos. My basic practice is sand the whole thing until I think I'm done with that grit then give it another pass or two.

It's an ugly picture but might make a good advertisement. Ya know, Ram Tough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have my 77 RC insured thru Hagerty. My Farmers agent recommended them because that is what they insure their classics with. I may be upping my insurance value with Hagerty because Hagerty is raising the values of our trucks pretty fast. Hmmm... now I wonder if the classic car prices are skyrocketing because the insurance companies know they can get more money that way by valuating them higher. Yup... scam.

Okay. Here is the info I just received from Hagerty.

First, allow me to preface a thing or two first:
1. A solid, complete 'pop top' is getting scarce. Or, like the ones for sale right now, the rust issues are huge. Then you're forced to re-paint too. So, body repair & full paint. How much?
2. Rarely do you find fresh motors. Or, you don't know what's really been done to them. So, a 'new' motor. How much? And...
3. Everything else, and I mean everything else. How much?

Also, I went with the 'how much will it cost me to replace exactly what I have?' approach. As well, NOT to spend years building another project again. And lastly, original parts. No guarantees today. And if you can find them, they add up quickly. Like real quickly.

That said...

Insurance "Guaranteed Value" = $40,000.00 (No haggling. I receive $40K.)
Plus "Cherished Salvage" = "Included" (Meaning, if my vehicle is totaled, I get the vehicle back + the $40K)
Premium = $778.91 + Hagerty Drivers Club = $45.00 TOTAL = $823.91* / Or, $68.70 per month

*In a private garage in North Carolina

My quick math? Chassis, body & paint and motor = $30,000.00, minimum. PLUS everything else.

There it all is. Thoughts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
68.70 is a great price for 40k in my opinion. yes, it would absolutely SUCK if something happened but that is enough to eventually find what you would need you know? 40k is enough to build a truck to your liking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
68.70 is a great price for 40k in my opinion. yes, it would absolutely SUCK if something happened but that is enough to eventually find what you would need you know? 40k is enough to build a truck to your liking.
Plus I get the entire truck back. My motor wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can’t beat that dude. Very glad Hagerty worked with you. You could find a truck with excellent bones around here for 5-7k. 68 bucks a month isn’t anything that’s going to scratch the surface of the bank either ya know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can’t beat that dude. Very glad Hagerty worked with you. You could find a truck with excellent bones around here for 5-7k. 68 bucks a month isn’t anything that’s going to scratch the surface of the bank either ya know.
We're on the same wave length. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
I seriously doubt I could find a pop top project without traveling a few hundred miles and a saveable one is gonna be $2-3k. Just assume it will need rust repair on the floors, rockers, a cab mount or four, quarters, rad support, fender heels, door bottoms. At $80 / hr and 60-100 hours, it adds up. Labor to strip it, prime, sand, repeat, paint, cut, rub isn’t cheap because these things aren’t exactly small. Quality paint is crazy expensive. No clue what a hands off engine and trans rebuild costs but $5k wouldn’t surprise me. Tires, exhaust, bumpers. Upholstery work ain’t cheap. It wouldn’t be hard at all to drop $30-40k doing it right.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I seriously doubt I could find a pop top project without traveling a few hundred miles and a saveable one is gonna be $2-3k. Just assume it will need rust repair on the floors, rockers, a cab mount or four, quarters, rad support, fender heels, door bottoms. At $80 / hr and 60-100 hours, it adds up. Labor to strip it, prime, sand, repeat, paint, cut, rub isn’t cheap because these things aren’t exactly small. Quality paint is crazy expensive. No clue what a hands off engine and trans rebuild costs but $5k wouldn’t surprise me. Tires, exhaust, bumpers. Upholstery work ain’t cheap. It wouldn’t be hard at all to drop $30-40k doing it right.
If you have ever watched FantomWorks on motortrend, aka; DRS Automotive (Dan R Short: Owner), you can see first hand that 30 to 40K is just getting you started. They claim to be the largest restoration shop in the country, if not the world as they say. They actually tell the customers at the end how much they spent in parts and how many hours of labor. Great show. Too bad Dan cancelled it so they could actually get some work done without cameras and retakes.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts