Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting close to driving my 1974 ctd ramcharger conversion/restoration project, checked with my current brokers and like my 1963 willys ctd, they dont offer anything but parade coverage of classic stature, anyone have full coverage on their older rc's?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hagerty. I pay $29 a month.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm actually getting a call from a Hagerty rep this week. Per a guy on this site one time, he was really shorted on his coverage after getting rear ended. He couldn't fix what he already owned for what they gave him. That sucks.

Hagerty, as I understand it, will let you get stated replacement value. So, if I had to replace mine, it'd likely be a rough chassis and re-do everything. That gets real spendy, real fast. I'm thinking like a $40 to 50K replacement policy.

Cost? We'll see.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally haven’t read any bad news from Hagerty. I believe them to be one of the biggest antique auto insurance companies. Let us know what you hear Doyle. Would be a shame if something were to happen to a rig and they don’t cover you responsibly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I personally haven’t read any bad news from Hagerty. I believe them to be one of the biggest antique auto insurance companies. Let us know what you hear Doyle. Would be a shame if something were to happen to a rig and they don’t cover you responsibly.
My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to suggest it was Hagerty that shorted anyone. I hear Hagerty is very good.

And yes, I'll certainly get back with you on what I hear from them.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Read the first few pages of this members story.

Reactions: xrjoe and Lzed

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow, skimmed through it a bit but for Hagerty to total that truck wasn’t necessary…

It appeared to be ALL cosmetic damage. Insurance is all a scam in the end of the day anyways, right?

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Insurance is all a scam in the end of the day anyways, right?
Thats my thinking, I have never had a good encounter with an insurance company. Head a lot of good stories though, not sure why mine went so poor.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
247 Posts
My parent’s basement flooded back in the early 2000’s and they filed a claim through All State I believe. They struggled to get paid out and after they did they were immediately dropped by All State. Auto/Home insurance are all the same as far as the companies fighting with you.

In my experience, thankfully, it’s been cheaper for me to repair it on my own behalf. I don’t think I’d call unless I had the engine shootin through the firewall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I pay $20/mo for state farm classics insurance. I have my '78 insured for $15k. I think the premiums would go up or down depending on how much you have into your RC.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
My parent’s basement flooded back in the early 2000’s and they filed a claim through All State I believe. They struggled to get paid out and after they did they were immediately dropped by All State. Auto/Home insurance are all the same as far as the companies fighting with you.
Yet I know folks who have had accident after accident, and are still with the same company.

Many years ago, I switched from Sate Farm, to prudential, after about six months, Prudential dropped me saying I did not report a ticket I got. I did report it to the agent, he just did not write it down because it was over a year before I applied with them. It took me 2 or 3 weeks to get the insurance back.

In my experience, thankfully, it’s been cheaper for me to repair it on my own behalf. I don’t think I’d call unless I had the engine shootin through the firewall.
Thats generally my feeling.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For my ‘19 Challenger I have Geico full coverage/gap. it’s only 230 a month. I know it varies region to region but I think that’s pretty good for State Farm wanting 600~ to cover it. Geico wanted like 300 for my RC. I hear good things about prudential, they got my 401k in their hands so I wonder if I could call them about some insurance too.

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
your lucky you dont live in Massachusetts , you cant even leave your house without insurance , heres a short list of things you can insure = ANYTHING you wanna pay for , you cant even own a vehicle if its Not insured , they will tow it away and you cant get it back till it is insured after towing and storage charges , its a $1000 dollars a year just to insure a JUNK winter beater thats only worth $300 bucks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Currently I’m in Delaware and I’ve entertained the idea of moving to PA, west of Philadelphia but the cost of living, specifically operating a vehicle, let alone more than 1 is outrageous

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Insurance is all a scam in the end of the day anyways, right?
Yes, by far the largest racket on Earth, beside maybe our wonderful government. Worse than BigOil, BigPharma, Religion, Lawyers & Walmart. And of course that includes medical insurance, which is the worst sector.

That being said I pay $225 annually ($45 of this is for a magazine subscription) to Hagerty to insure my W600. It's replacement value is set at $5000. I doubt they'd pay without me putting up a big fight, but since I rarely drive the thing I figure they are my best option.

Bucky

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can sure tell ya that thick magazine they send ya is good to start a fire with

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Currently I’m in Delaware and I’ve entertained the idea of moving to PA, west of Philadelphia but the cost of living, specifically operating a vehicle, let alone more than 1 is outrageous
I'd think the big deterrent would be the tax situation. If ya go far enough west of Philly, it should be reasonable. Just outside on the main line or central Chester county is gonna be pricey. ATM, I've got 5 registered and insured and it's not ugly. Antique tags, multi car discount, accident free, multi line (home / auto) combine for a pretty healthy discount.

Ya wanna see an ugly insurance scenario, check Kurts epic thread.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have Country Financial, at the time of my accident I had 2 cars fully insured and one that was classified as a farm vehicle and paid just over $180 monthly.
When I crashed my 1985 RC I had full coverage, and honestly did not pay too close attention to it. Insurance totaled the RC and paid me out what I thought was a more than reasonable amount and I saw the check within the week of the crash. I had a great experience with them and so far would recommend the to others (unsure if they are nation wide though). My insurance rate when up $196 a month after the accident because I lost my good driver discount. But thats pretty understandable. This all happened about 8 months ago.

Anyway, thought I would put a good story in there about insurance. I don't know if that is helpful to your question about a insuring a classic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its lifted un noticeably but with 35's will sit a little higher than my w250, 3/4 ton spring stack for 6bt cummins weight. my recent experience with explorer insurance was giving coverage for the value of my '63 j200 4bt jeep pickup, 6 months ago they notified me my policy would be cancelled in june, got the last notification and done, they literally pulled all their auto policies off the board and just quit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts