Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going in a few hours for the first time.im gonna use a 22 with a clip, my bf is using a shotgun.hope i get one:)
anyone else hunt squirrels? what do you use? any tips?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i didnt get one.i sighted in on it but it ran to his side of the tree.surprizingly he only put 3 slugs in it.i thought it would be blown to pieces.
it was pretty exciting.he dumped us off the back of the 4 wheeler, so i landed on the squirrel,the guns landed on me,then 220 lbs of him landed on the guns on me.my leg has a bruise and bump that doubles the size of the one on my arm,from the bow string.
i chose to use a small rifle over a shotgun for that sporting purpose.my goal is to be able to get squirrels with a bow.:)

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've always wanted to try squirrel.

What kind of squirrel were you hunting...red...grey...?

Where I live now there are tons of grey squirrels. Up home, there's mostly red.

G

·
cooper30 said:
I've always wanted to try squirrel.

What kind of squirrel were you hunting...red...grey...?

Where I live now there are tons of grey squirrels. Up home, there's mostly red.
Hey Coop you like squirrel, damn man , my cousin use to make killer Squirrel and dumplin's!

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the one we got was gray but with some red on its legs.i wouldnt shoot a white one.squirrel meat is good,better than rabbit i think.i bet a rat would taste just like a squirrel

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
luke9-1-1 said:
MMMMMMMMM..............squirrel potpie.......{cool}
yep:D thats the best

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
rustyknife said:
a .17 is my fav for a squirrel gun... dont shoot the white ones...they carry a hefty fine around here

Eric
a 17 HMR? My dad has one of those, thick ass barrel. Are they hollow points?
balistic tipped

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Tree rats are good, a lot like rabbit but sweeter. ;D

·
29,446 Posts
I hunt (so to speak) a particular type of ground squirrel (Uinta Ground Squirrel) that over-runs my yard every year and removes the insulation from under my house. :mad:

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i wonder if thats the same kind thats all over southern cali arizona,that puts holes all over the palce and you twist your ankle just trying to walk thru

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
personally I usually use 12 ga shotgun for squirills just because if you encounter something bigger and nastier than a squirril (bears, wild boar, wild dogs, deliverance men, etc.) a 12 ga is better equiped to handle it. I usually carry a 6" barreled .22 mag revolver with me and I can hit squirrils with it if I want to. Thats when its small game season only. If I'm small game hunting during big game season I usually carry a .45 along so I can take care of any big game I might encounter. I have taken deer with a .45 when I was squirrill hunting during deer season.

As to other things I've killed sqirrils with: sling shot, bb gun, a dowel rod(thrown like a spear) and a hatchet(thrown)

·
29,446 Posts
shedevil said:
i wonder if thats the same kind thats all over southern cali arizona,that puts holes all over the palce and you twist your ankle just trying to walk thru
It wouldn't be the exact same species, because th Uinta's are only found in northern UT and parts of Idaho and Wyoming. There are several similar species that they could be though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts