Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Any Bow Hunters out there?

5K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  shedevil 
G
#1 ·
I am contemplating really getting into bow hunting for the pure challenge, I have shot before but not in depth . My dad bow hunts as does a few of my uncles. I had a Bear Whitetail II but i traded it for a feeder when mine was stolen, I regret that now! IF you have one what do you shoot?

#2 ·
I have one, I think its a Proline something or other. It's about 10 years old, but I figure that it worked to kill deer then, why not now. I haven't shot it for years, but I think I'll start up again this fall.

G
#4 ·
I've got a Bear Super Strike XLR. It's the first solo cam Bear made. Shoots really nice, but it's too heavy to carry for very long. PSE makes some very good bows in all price ranges. Browning and Martin are also good bows. Just kind of expensive. Single cam compounds are the way to go. They require less tuning and are more forgiving of a bad release.

Bowhunting is addictive. Pretty soon you'll be making your own arrows, twisting your own strings, buying 2 dozen different types of camo. It's fun.

#6 ·
I use a PSE Nova; lower end price-wise in PSE's equipment, not a lot of bells & whistles but still very effective. With mine coming plain from the get-go, it allowed me to customize it myself to what I wanted as far as sights, a rest, quiver, etc.

Whatever you go with, I'd like to recommend going with carbon arrows. They' ve come a long way in quality and have come down a lot in price. Being lighter in weight, they fly faster & have a flatter trajectory. Having made that switch about 3-4 years ago, I'd never go back to aluminum now.

#7 ·
I have shot a WhiteTail II-my first bow. One of the best buys for the money at the time. Have also shot a PSE Fireflight, Hoyt and now a Martin. I have not had any significant problems with any of them. Go to a pro shop and shoot some, then decide what you like best.

#9 ·
PSE Pro-shop 65 here, decent price, shoots fairly flat, and one of the few affordable ones in left handed versions.

and i agree, carbon arrows are definitely the way to go, at least for this particular bow.

i also have an older browning bantam (circa 1981), that actually prefers aluminum arrows more. and can still group 10 arrows inside of 2 inches at 35 yards. it isnt near as fast as the PSE (208FPS versus 277FPS through our chronograph), but for the age and model it is exceedingly well made and accurate

eric

G
#10 ·
intenseimages said:
PSE Pro-shop 65 here, decent price, shoots fairly flat, and one of the few affordable ones in left handed versions.

and i agree, carbon arrows are definitely the way to go, at least for this particular bow.

i also have an older browning bantam (circa 1981), that actually prefers aluminum arrows more. and can still group 10 arrows inside of 2 inches at 35 yards. it isnt near as fast as the PSE (208FPS versus 277FPS through our chronograph), but for the age and model it is exceedingly well made and accurate

eric
Damn eric you shoot right minded!!!! ;D

#11 ·
Outlaw said:
intenseimages said:

eric
Damn eric you shoot right minded!!!! ;D
yeah i do!!! ;D ;D

eric

#16 ·
Outlaw,
I have a Whitetail II that I bought new around 15 years ago or so. I've hunted a few time w/ it but never drawn on anything. I just got a new string put on it and will use it this weekend maybe since bow season starts. :)

#18 ·
I still have my first high country that I bought and still shoot it. I also have the pearson spolier. I used to have it set at 90#'s when I shot outdoors but it is set at about 75 now. I use to have 7 or 8 bows when I was into tournament shooting but only have 2 that I shoot and 2 that are probably collectables at least to me anyway. It starts Oct. 1st so I am just about ready.

#19 ·
im just getting into it.i bought a PSE from a freind for $50. i was told it was an expensive bow but as long as works i dotn care

#20 ·
Well, I went today and yesterday. No luck so far. Seen a few, but not in position to shoot.

#26 ·
keep shooting Tj, you will! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.