Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is kind of a dumb question i think. this past summer i was doing some work on my TD. i kept having coolant leaks so i would just put water in the radiator instead of wasting more coolant. now with winter coming i would like to replace the water with antifreeze now that i've fixed the leaks. is there a good way to get the water out of the engine so i can put in antifreeze so the block wont crack this winter while the truck is sitting?

·
Super Moderator
29,805 Posts
Yes, there are two block drain plugs, one on each side of the block, about an inch above the oil pan and just to the rear of the motor mounts. Just look for a 1/2" or 9/16 bolt head sticking out of the block.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Run some SuperFlush through the system before you drain it to get rid of any scale or rust that's developed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where do you get superflush and are there directions for using it? My coolant is wicked nasty looking. I'd like to thuroughly flush it and refill it. I bought enough 50/50 mixture to fill the whole system once, but I guess I'll probably need more to do a flush.

·
Super Moderator
29,805 Posts
Any parts store or Wal-mart. Prestone makes it. Its in a little yellow jug that look like a small antifreeze jug.
Yes it has instructions on it, and you will not need more coolant for the flush, you just use water with the super flush.
Also, they sell two different kinds (I can't remember the exact names) but one of them you put in your system then drive for several hours then drain. The other kind you just let your engine get warm for 10 minutes then drain, this is the one I prefer. Just read the instructions before you buy it and see which method you prefer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I looked on Prestone's website. Superflush sounds like the 10 minute deally. There's another one that's just called Coolant Flush I think. That's probably the "drive around for an hour" variety. I might give this a shot. how large of a bucket am I going to need to dump the stuff in? How do I store it afterward. I assume this stuff has to be disposed of property rather then just dumping it down a drain?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
dant98 said:
I looked on Prestone's website. Superflush sounds like the 10 minute deally. There's another one that's just called Coolant Flush I think. That's probably the "drive around for an hour" variety. I might give this a shot. how large of a bucket am I going to need to dump the stuff in? How do I store it afterward. I assume this stuff has to be disposed of property rather then just dumping it down a drain?
if your ride is tall enough just use a 5 gallon bucket or 2, then when done, cap them off and take them to oyur local jiffy lube or other oil change place, they will usually dispose of the stuff for you for free.

prestone also makes a whole kit for backflushing the radiator and cooling/heating system with all tubing and everything to permanently install it in your heating lines, then when you are ready to do this every year, just hook up the hose and go to flushing. sells for about $10 or so for the kit

eric

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The system only holds 4 gallons, so a 5 gallon bucket will be plenty. In addition to the 2 block plugs, there is a stopcock at the bottom of the driver's side of the radiator. Make sure you use it too. IF there is no recycling collection center AND your home is connected to a municipal sewer system (NOT A SEPTIC OR CESSPOOL!!) then you can dilute it several times and flush it. A full bucket should be diluted with at least 10 flushes worth of water (about 30 gallons).

With the superflush, remember that you have to add the stuff, then run the truck until the thermostat opens (upper hose gets hot), then run it for ANOTHER 15-20 minutes (I usually do at least a half hour). Otherwise it will just sit in the radiator and not do anything. I always drive while it's in. The water is pumping faster while you're driving, and the higher velocity should break more crap loose than if it were idling.

Matt {peace}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.