Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about an almost daily preoccupation for about a 14 week seemingly OCD immersive inquiry. With no real OEM equivalent solutions, why, some corp can't come up with a reliable vehicle specific new single or dual "power brake booster" for our trucks, to me is the 9th wonder of the world. I suspect we will sooner learn the truth about the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, where the Aztec's went, the fate of Allantis before we factually understand why we can't buy a simple gosh -dammed booster for a 85 - 93 Dodge RC. er (SUV to the newbies).
While at the very same instance you can't swing a dead cat around in a circle without hitting a half dozen vendors selling a booster for a 64 GTO Booster ? Does that make sense ??? Check that televised auction...the 64 Goat has vanished into the garages of investors along with their portfolios into a vault somewhere ...UNLIKE our RamChargers and Pick Ups..
I can only bet on a salvaged booster or a booster rebuilder for only so long. I've decided to send my RamCharger to the car crusher...
NO... just kidding..
I'll put money on a turn key, drop in in and go, solution, used by street rodders etc. Who I can guess have at least the care and concern and money invested in their rods equivalent to our RamChargers and Pick Ups. I feel more at ease with a professionally engineered system vs as admirable as it may be... rigged alternative I've read about thus far.
As I see it, I'll be gambling on my RC stoping as intended and they will gambling on their product with their corp assets as collateral.
I have been looking at the following. What appeals to me, is that I don't have to re-engineer my entire braking system cobbling together various parts. I don't have an engineering degree in physics or hydraulics, and I don't like to guesstimate. I will look for one of the following that will bolt up to my bulkhead that will deal with my 1/2 ton, beast that has survived the cash for clunkers genocide. https://leedbrakes.com/i-19296643-8-inch-dual-booster-chrome.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcHFvmAP4CejBE8ETApZJQhd9q-D6CiLZ-d1_CUcE2TX7losxf5d5choCOxEQAvD_BwE

EDDIE K

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
That sounds good. It will be great to see you move on (with the RC, that is (Pun intended)).

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Yea, I hear ya. I've had the experience of having the brake pedal dropping to the floor, Not something I would wish on anyone.

I can only think that this is a fall out of the cash for clunkers deal. About that same time frame, the price for scrap steel rose, and many junkyards emptied their lots, to cash in on the  high prices. Toss in the EPA, and many local governments making it hard for small yards to continue. The availability of used parts is tanking. I do not know how many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were made in that time period, Or better how many are still on the road. But I get the feeling the return is not worth the cost. Too many newer cars that are made like shit, that they can make and sell parts for.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
2 hour drive from me and it's chrome no less ... LOL odd thing about all these brake parts , when the trucks were new , those parts were "picked" from a manufacture's catalog by the dodge "engineer" in charge of the brakes . That "supplier" sold those to dodge . That part ? it most likely was NOT a dodge engineered part specially made item , any more than the master cylinder was/is ....  engineer needs x psi at x stroke @ x diameter and selected one

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
dodge82273 said:
. LOL odd thing about all these brake parts , when the trucks were new , those parts were "picked" from a manufacture's catalog by the dodge "engineer" in charge of the brakes . That "supplier" sold those to dodge . That part ? it most likely was NOT a dodge engineered part specially made item , any more than the master cylinder was/is .... engineer needs x psi at x stroke @ x diameter and selected one
That is the first way most would think, but that is not the case. If it were, it would be like a headlight, or any bulb on the old trucks. you click on the part number on Rock Auto, and it will give you the applications. You will not see many bigger parts that will fit other makes.

Yes, the booster could likely have been made by bendix, midland, or toms metal working. Dodge makes the specs, and then bids out the contract. You would think it would be cheaper to pick from a catalog, but look at the major assemblies we know are made through outside sources. A new process 203 from a dodge is not the same as one from a ford, or the manual trannies. Don't know about the 80's, but around 2000, when I hauled parts into the Newark assembly plant, many of the contracts were for 6 months at a time. It was all but expected that the supplier for XYZ part, would change. Most of them, were small 1 to 2000 sq feet rentals in an industrial park. The majority of them, were small companies likely owned by larger companies. When they loose the contract, they just lay off most of the workers, and start up as a new company 6 months later, with a new contract. The way things changed so often, it must not be very hard, or expensive to reconfigure the presses, jigs, and what ever to make a different part.

Very few parts are the same between makes any more, and the sad thing, many parts are not the same through many model years.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
well it was that way when I worked at a a/p jobber in 1971 eis was the brake casting manufacturer , for bendix wagner all of them .....

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
dodge82273 said:
well it was that way when I worked at a a/p jobber in 1971 eis was the brake casting manufacturer , for bendix wagner all of them .....
Yea, look back and you will see more parts swapped between makes in the 60's, less in the 70's and very few in the 80's.

EDDIEK said:
. Today at yards that are not careful about who they let in like U-Pull-It yards the vehicles are pretty much trashed they show clearly where people ripped the dash out using a crowbar or something to get at one small part under the dash and literally destroyed a couple of hundred dollars worth of material.
Yep, last U-pull-it I went to in pa, all the tail lights had a hole smashed in them. I guess the loss was not enough for the place to care, but it made me sick to see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.