Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I recently just became a Dodge truck owner! I figure it to my last truck, so I had been searching for a good Dodge forum that was geared more toward the trucks. I had joined up with a site, and that site seemed to have what I wanted, but after a while, it's clear that they are more geared toward the cars. It's because of the awesome Dodge heritage of the muscle cars produced, and the rarity of my truck that I chose it. I joined up here after about an hour of reading and looking, and think that there is more to offer here, and that there is an active community of enthusiasts! I'm excited for my "new" Dodge truck! However, the road ahead is going to be a struggle. I'm going to need help and suggestions. I'm not a real whiz-bang when it comes to these kind of big projects, but I'm a devoted gear head! So, I'm willing to put in the leg work, and research. I hope to share truck problems, videos, pictures, and manuals with the group. My Dodge is a 1971 W150 that is not original.
Thank you for the chance to be here!

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Welcome to RCC!  Let's be clear on what you have.  The "W150" model didn't really come about until the late 1970s, before that it was just a W100.  I only ask because it's just as likely you mistakenly applied the later designation to an older model as it is that you may have mistyped the year model.  There are a lot of differences in a '71 and an '81 one model, the earlier being a completely different bodystyle truck, so it's important for us to know exactly what you have.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Welcome, we love pics,

"However, the road ahead is going to be a struggle. I'm going to need help and suggestions"

Don't be overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done,  just take one bite at a time my friend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elwenil said:
Welcome to RCC! Let's be clear on what you have. The "W150" model didn't really come about until the late 1970s, before that it was just a W100. I only ask because it's just as likely you mistakenly applied the later designation to an older model as it is that you may have mistyped the year model. There are a lot of differences in a '71 and an '81 one model, the earlier being a completely different bodystyle truck, so it's important for us to know exactly what you have.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm sure the title of my truck says its a w150. But that don't mean you are incorrect. Now I'm leaning toward the notion that the person whom I purchased the truck from could have misidentified it. I'm all eyes and ears! Your reply is exactly what I need to find out about my truck. If I list the serial number, could anyone break it down and identify what truck I have? ( or so sayeth the i.d plate, lol!)

What about a 1971 Power Wagon? Was that listed as a "WXXX" , or? My truck is with out question a 1971 Swept Side 4x4. I know in 1972 Chrysler changed the entire design. Breaking down the serial number is so important right now. I purchased a fantastic service manual for my truck, and can not for the life of me, figure out where my serial number belongs in the manual.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mojack, Thank you for the welcome! Absolutely, there be an abundance of hurdles to face with this truck of mine. So, I'm hoping I can translate what the i'd plate stands for on my truck. From there, I can determine what all was done to my truck from it's original condition. This is going to be a long one. I don't want to take short cuts, yet I'm on some what of a budget until after tax time. I'm sad to say, but I don't think the engine mounts are correct, nor be the transmission mount on the cross member. Driveshaft is incorrect. Don't know what axles I have. Needs a brake booster and Lord knows how I'm going to figure out if it will mate with the existing master cylinder. I'd like to round up a good fuel tank for inside the cab. I have a lead on replacement floorboards. Rear bumper is missing as well as the tail gate support straps. Every cab seal and gasket is long past it's prime. The power steering pump needs a bracket, or be it homemade. Exhaust and intake manifold gaskets are needed.

Who knows what else! I sure do like this old truck though, !

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bakercat said:
Welcome!
Love to see some pics of that old W150.
I had a '69 D100 for a while.. Loved that truck!
I sure will get some pictures! I need to learn how to post them. Also, I have the truck covered because it leaks water into the cab when it rains. Gosh, does this really sound this bad, lol? Thank you for the welcome! Gonna dive in and discover what I can about this truck I have. Truck is sort of special to me as it was delivered to me on Father's Day. Its here to stay!

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
For '71, the models were just even hundreds so if it's a 1/2 ton 4WD, it will be a W100.  There is a lot of good info for Sweptline models over on Sweptline.org, though we can and are happy to help out as well.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Welcome to the KNUTHOUSE!  {wave}

This site has the best guys I have ever had the pleasure of chatting, discussing things with and meeting. There is more knowledge here than anywhere else I have found. AND while we can be a bit of sticklers for giving out the "correct" info we mean well and it's all to help people out.

The people are what make this site great because we all have a love for our trucks.

so post your pics and ask your questions.  ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome aboard the folks here are pretty informative by having either been in the business for awhile or having personal experience in it because of doing it themselves. I have utilized their knowledge and experience in the past and will continue to in the future. Even if it is their opinion on something everyone has their own personal preferences but getting their opinion on something they have down can save you time and money on experimenting on your own and wasting a bunch of money and time. Good luck to you and hope you enjoy your truck and your experience here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elwenil said:
For '71, the models were just even hundreds so if it's a 1/2 ton 4WD, it will be a W100. There is a lot of good info for Sweptline models over on Sweptline.org, though we can and are happy to help out as well.
Thank you for the link to sweptline!! That site is going to be extremely helpful with parts I'm going to need.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mopar65pa said:
Welcome to the KNUTHOUSE! {wave}

This site has the best guys I have ever had the pleasure of chatting, discussing things with and meeting. There is more knowledge here than anywhere else I have found. AND while we can be a bit of sticklers for giving out the "correct" info we mean well and it's all to help people out.

The people are what make this site great because we all have a love for our trucks.

so post your pics and ask your questions. ;D
Thank you for the welcome! I figure to spend some time here. When I got my Dodge W100, I was told by the guy I got it from, that the truck had an '84 RamCharger 318 engine and transmission, and front axle. So, I'm assuming that my truck did not start out originally as a 4x4.

Here is where I'm going to start this project.

I figure I need to have a look at the engine mounts. Something looks weird about one of them, and I'd like to learn that I have the correct type of engine mounts.

Next, I would like to learn that I have the correct transmission mount. Its the one under the tail shaft, sits on top of the crossmember. Here concerns me because the angle that I think the front driveshaft needs to be to link from the transfer case to the front axle goes from the transfer case and appears to kind of angle up toward the engine oil pan. If it matters, the transfer case and front axle differential is along the passenger side of the truck.

So, to say once I figure all the above difficulties out, I'll need a custom propeller shaft made. One in it now is too short.

Not sure what kind of front axle I have, but there is no way to lock and unlock the front axle from wheel hub.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
70sdodge said:
Welcome aboard the folks here are pretty informative by having either been in the business for awhile or having personal experience in it because of doing it themselves. I have utilized their knowledge and experience in the past and will continue to in the future. Even if it is their opinion on something everyone has their own personal preferences but getting their opinion on something they have down can save you time and money on experimenting on your own and wasting a bunch of money and time. Good luck to you and hope you enjoy your truck and your experience here.
Thank you for the welcome! It's a nice truck, and I love it!

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Uncle John said:
Thank you for the welcome! I figure to spend some time here. When I got my Dodge W100, I was told by the guy I got it from, that the truck had an '84 RamCharger 318 engine and transmission, and front axle. So, I'm assuming that my truck did not start out originally as a 4x4.

Here is where I'm going to start this project.

I figure I need to have a look at the engine mounts. Something looks weird about one of them, and I'd like to learn that I have the correct type of engine mounts.

Next, I would like to learn that I have the correct transmission mount. Its the one under the tail shaft, sits on top of the crossmember. Here concerns me because the angle that I think the front driveshaft needs to be to link from the transfer case to the front axle goes from the transfer case and appears to kind of angle up toward the engine oil pan. If it matters, the transfer case and front axle differential is along the passenger side of the truck.

So, to say once I figure all the above difficulties out, I'll need a custom propeller shaft made. One in it now is too short.

Not sure what kind of front axle I have, but there is no way to lock and unlock the front axle from wheel hub.
If he put a the 84 Ramcharger drive train in the truck then NO it will have a vacuum actuated center spline the engages the front axle or auto hubs. I can't remember what year they changed over from the auto hubs. If it has auto hubs you can swap them out for manual hubs. If it has the center axle lock you can lock that and take the pucks out of the hubs and put manual hubs in there.

Post some pics of the trans mount and the engine mounts we can let you know if they are correct. The problem is when you "update" to a newer drivetrain there will be some fabricating needed to make things correct.

The engine mounts and trans mounts should still be the 70 style to keep your driveshaft angles correct.

Frame lengths changed from 71 to 72 so a driveshaft from an 84 will be too short for a 71. if you give a shop the length from the mounting flange on the T-case to the center of the front yoke they can make a shaft to the correct length. Same goes for the rear shaft.

Good luck and we are waiting for pics. LOL............... :p {popcorn} {popcorn} {popcorn} {popcorn}

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
1984 was the last year for the automatic hubs, though some have said they had a late '84 model with the CAD axle, I have personally never seen one that I can remember.  A CAD axle is easy to identify by the actuator on the driver side axle tube.

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Elwenil said:
1984 was the last year for the automatic hubs, though some have said they had a late '84 model with the CAD axle, I have personally never seen one that I can remember. A CAD axle is easy to identify by the actuator on the driver side axle tube.
{cool} I could not remember when they changed over. I was thinking 84 but you are right it was 85 when the CAD came out. BUT you know how Dodge is it could have either in 84 and 85. LOL............. left over 83 parts in an 85. ha ha ha! :p I had 89 axles in my 90 CTD I could never find the correct parts for them until I came to the conclusion. The rear hub seals are different between 89 and 90 in the D71 axles................ ::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.