Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? Ok, so I'm trying to swap everything over from my 92 Magnum to my L.A. block to put back into my Ramcharger. Well i found out that I just need to use all the Magnum hardware as well as heads and intake. But today it was braught to my attention that the cam's might be different. Does anyone know if this is so or where i could find out. My Magnum is fuel injected and the L.A. is T.B.I. I was told the cams could be different cause of this reason but he was'nt sure since its dodge. If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated. Its ready to come out and I want my truck back, I'm sure you all understand! ;D

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
the cams are different as are the lifters and push rods / you hafta get new lifters [AMC] so they oil thru the push rods / so this is what you want -- LA cam --- AMC lifters--- Magnum pushrods / somebody please correct me if l,m wrong

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Both engines you have are roller engines. You should be able to swap lifters and retainers. Actually i would swap cams too because the magnum engine has a better cam that would make more power.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why in the world would you do that, rather than just swap the entire motor

G

·
The cams are different because Dodge changed the rocker ratio, and a swap carries certain conditions. The Magnum cam has no oil holes, so the aforementioned AMC-style lifters and hollow pushrods are required. The Magnum cam. Now here's where it's a toss-up. What are the displacements of the LA and Magnum engines in question? The LA 318/360 used 1.52:1 ratio rocker arms. The cams are ground with this in mind. The Magnums use 1.6:1, so depending on what engines we're talking about.. If a stock 318 LA, you'll be better off with the Magnum cam. If a stock 360 LA, you'll net about .430 valve lift with the Magnum rockers. The Magnum 360 cam nets .410 lift. A Magnum 318, however, nets .432, so, as you can see, it depends. The Magnum cams are about 3/10 of an inch shorter than LA cams since there was no intention of running a fuel pump eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump. Consequently, it is said that LA cams beneath a Magnum timing cover are a tight fit, but that really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The LA block doesnt' have a provision for the crank sensor that the magnum engine requires for the MPI to work.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah also true and you would have to go to a msd style trigger which i would like better since it would be much more easily replaced in the event it malfunctions, unlike the mag motor style

G

·
chrysler300le said:
The LA block doesnt' have a provision for the crank sensor that the magnum engine requires for the MPI to work.
Those interested in using the Magnum-style ignition actually go so far as notching the tranny bellhousing for the crank sensor, but I'd seek some sort of aftermarket option, or at least the more traditional Mopar electronic unit.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
gen1dak said:
chrysler300le said:
Those interested in using the Magnum-style ignition actually go so far as notching the tranny bellhousing for the crank sensor, but I'd seek some sort of aftermarket option, or at least the more traditional Mopar electronic unit.
yea notching the tranny is required too but the magnum engine has a mounting pad and drilled holes for the sensor. There is nothing even close to it on the LA engine. If you want a magnum engine with its fuel injection use the whole block.

G

·
Ahhhhh... Not that hard to fab up a pad on the block, but it isn't the most time-effective thing to do when other alternatives are out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would just swap the whole motor in one simple step but.. the linkages and all are totally different and some of the sensors that are on the Magnum are not on the LA, from which i can see anyways. Plus this is my first engine swap so i'm still learning what all to do. Thanks for all the info its a great help. I think i'll just swap over cams while i'm at it. When its all said and done i'll have a great 3/4 ton Dodge that needs a motor up for grabs for someone :D Its got a 4 speed manual in it and a 1,100 lb lift gate on the year. Its a beater but will make a great work truck. I'll probably just turn it into a off road beast when its all said and done.My 88 is gonna be my street truck since its only a 2 wheel drive and in Alaska its not the greatest for winter and then my 51 is gonna be next inline for a ground up. So I figure i'll have the 89 for my beast! Thanks again for the info.. i'll be back for more if you got it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts