Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i know..... i have the manual pages that deal with changeing the hub nad rotor. i see all the tech stuff no problem but is there an easier way to replace the bearings??? i still have to get new bearings BUT i do have new hubs and rotors. can i just undo the 6 bolts, and pull out he retainer and bearings then replace em with the retainer out and reseal it with what is already there???? i think the inner seals were done when i had the ujoints replaced.

·
Registered
145 Posts
unless i dont understand the question you should be able to replace the baerings and races.
if you get in a bind i would call northwest brake
on 97th and 99 he helped me out big time on my 93 w250
when the dealer was wanting to replace my lt front hub
and not cover it under warr.

·
7,995 Posts
Leave the retainer bolts tight and remove the rotor...this will remove 4 of the 5 bearing parts(inner bearing, inner race,machined spacer, outer race). The outer bearing and seal will remain on the hub. You will need to have the bearing pulled by a machine shop or if you have a 2/3 jaw puller you might be able to get the bearing off. The book calls for the use of a bearing seperator to pull the bearing but I have done it with a 2 jaw puller. Get a new seal.

·
7,995 Posts
You must install the oil seal into the retainer plate, then slide the complete retainer plate on to the hub, then press the bearings(All 5 pieces) on to the hub in the proper order. Check your email as I will send you a modified diagram.:)

·
7,995 Posts
You could use a piece of pipe the same outside diameter as the hub...but you have to be careful you dont wreck the bearings. The bearings are expensive, I might suggest taking it to a machine shop or a local farmer that has a press. Also don't forget to pack the bearings before you press them on!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
farmer??? whats that??? :D i am in the middle of a big city... the nearest farmis about 2 hours away! ;D but damn... thats not waht i wanted to hear.... this sucks i need my truck back now!

·
7,995 Posts
I would pack the bearings tonite, make sure you install the retainer plate on the hub and hit the closest shop in the AM and drop it off for them to press...will save you time and money in the long run. The last set of bearings cost me $55 and that was a steal..they usually go for $75-$100 a set. Eeeek!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no place to leave the truck on stands or i would... i have to do it one at a time.... its a PITA!!!!! i was able to get the bearings for $50 a set. form autozone of all places..... timkin bearings to boot. plus i got the seal i also found the hub\rotor assy from NAPA for $135 each.... oh and i also have the part number for the front rubber brake hose, frame to axle, i will find it and add it

·
7,995 Posts
I forgot about the hose, I was gonna check the one in the garage but I havnt been in there in awhile, don't feel too good with this bad gallbladder. Will see the surgeon tomorrow to schedule it's removal. Please post the number and we can compare. Thx-Stevo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.