Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose its about time I put together a thread for my cheap jeep.

I bought it this spring for $300. It did not run, and I bought it sight unseen. The guy I bought it from had never heard it run either.

I had originally planned on throwing a plow on it and using it to plow the driveway, but then I took it up to the Iron range OHV park a couple of times, and now it will probably become an off road toy.

All it took to get it running was a new ignition control module and a manual choke, but then we found a number of things with the drivetrain. (all u-joints, pinion bearing front and rear, driveshaft yoke, pinion yoke, hubs, etc.) and also an exhaust leak.

I fixed all of the above, and then added a CB, Hi-lift, tow strap, fire extingisher, and took it trail riding 8)

On with the pics!

Just after I got it home, and after I got it running, but before it was roadworthy.

roadworthy

fire extingisher

hilift, temp mount

stuck!

some off road pics

Plans include:

lockers
33-35' tires
suspension only lift
mopar motorvation
axels
On board air
skids/ armor
improved rollcage
paint
more....

My budget is pretty much blown for the short term, but as deals show up I will make room for them as neccesary. Right now the roll cage (I have a three year old, and I;m not comfortable with her in the back), lockers, and the lift have priority.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just in the right place at the right time ;D

The guy was $300 short on a fine that had had to be paid that day. He had tried to sell me the jeep before, but for $1000. This time he said if I bouhgt it that day, I could have it for $300. I didn't really have it to spend, but I said sold, went to the ATM and paid him. I saw it the first time when I went to pick it up that weekend. It was a nice surprise to see that it was as nice as it was ;D

My wife was PO'd about it, and even more so when I had to keep dumping more money into it, but then I took her to the OHV park with me...

Now she's pushing me for the lift and tires ;D 

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update of sorts:

Due to time, money and lack of garage, the jeep has just been sitting. It hasn't run well since my last offroad trip.

We had some better weather here this week, so I was able to wrench on it some. I found the distruber cap cracked, and the float in the carb to be sticking. I fixed both of those, and took it for a spin  8)

It still seems to have an occasional miss, and when I'm comeing down from highway speeds it likes to die so I still have some tweeking to do, but at least I have a backup car that actually runs now  :)

Also on my "fixit" list:

-transfer case has a clunk now, I' pretty sure it's the mount

-4wd isn't working all of the time, I'm sure its the CAD in the front axle

-choke

- I broke an exhaust hanger on a rock

As weather permits, I'll be working on all of this, then hopefully when this stuff is done, I'll get the lift on early this spring

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, its been a year since I updated this :(

Not enough happened with the jeep last year, basically I kept it running and beat on it as often as I could, lol. I did replace the carberator that had been problematic ever since I tried driving it through a pond, added a real rear tow point, and fixed a few other headaches, but nothing to exciting.

Gilbert OHV park : Crawl for the Cure fundraiser

Private property in WI:

Last season was a bit tough on the jeep, I pretzeled the exauhst, caused a bit of body damage, and put a big ol hole in the back of the transfer case.

This spring promises to be a bit more productive. Today I bought a used 4" lift and axles with 4:10 gears (up from 3:07), I am looking for a set of tires (33-35) and a new tranfer case.

I'll try and get pics :)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've been working on the heep like mad lately. I've got an event coming up next month (www.crawl4cure.org) and I want it to do better this year than it did last year :)

Found a deal on a complete, matching, solid running drivetrain ($200 :) ). It came with everything including the computer, ICM, etc. The only thing I needed immediatly is the t-case, but I've already used a few other random parts, and my engine has 190k on it, so it is getting a little tired.

I replaced the t-case for obvious reasons...

The exhaust was a little twisted up, this is after straightening it as much as I could to hold me over.

I also removed the bumperettes and trailer hitch, they were killing my departure angle, and some of the events around here won't let you pass tech with a trailer ball on there anyhow...

pic of the rear tow point I added earlier.

I've also modified the battery tray to hold a slightly larger battery, removed a few vacuum lines, removed a pesky bracket that was shorting out the starter, and about a million similar small fry things.

Hopefully I will start installing the lift this weekend, weather and delivery permitting.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No pics yet, but the lift (and axles) did finally come in on friday and I started to install it this weekend. It was kinda funny, I actually thought that I'd be able to install it all on Saturday. In reality, Over Saturday and Sunday, I was able to completly install the rear, lol.

Every nut and bolt fought with everything it had to keep from coming out. I had to cut both of the bolts at the front of the springs in order to get them out, one of the bolts on the shackle had to be cut, and the brakeline had to be cut out and relocated.

Everything actually went back together pretty easy, but the passenger side is sitting a little higher than the drivers ???

Tonight I started to tear apart the front, but I only made it as far as getting it up in the air, removing the driveshaft, and removing one shock before I decided I needed the rest of the night off. I can tell the front is going to fight just as hard as the rear did :(

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As you can see I finally got the lift installed. As of the last post, I was having problems with the front axle disconnect, so the four wheel drive wasn't working, but I did get those issues resolved last night, and everything seems to be working well now aside from a brake line that I need to re-flare as it's leaking at the connection.

I drove it around the yard over a few landscaping boulders, some logs, and through my little backyard trail last night, and aside from the spongy brakes and a little rubbing at full flex, it did quite well :)

some more pics

1 - 20 of 30 Posts